Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm not sure what board this needs to be posted on. If this is the wrong one, please move and advise.

I'm having many problems with a laptop that I purchased on EBay and was "wiped" and redone with Win 10.  What I have is an HP Split x2. Because I couldn't get the problems solved, I did a factory restoral and now am using Win 8-1. Still many problems are being encountered. Right now, the big one I'm having is as follows.

Two days ago while using the computer, when I switched from the app side to desktop side a block saying "Switch between apps. Swipe in from the edge to go back to the last app you were using." suddenly appeared in the left margin and protrudes about 6" into the screen.  No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of it. It appears in both the apps side and desktop side.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of it?

I have other problems but they are mainly MS related.

If additional info, such as computer info, browser, etc is needed, let me know.

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@khone

The issue you describe might be the way the settings are adjusted -- in which case you should be able to set the "swipe" to suit your needs -- or the settings are already adjusted correctly and this issue, too, is perhaps something honked (broken) in your Windows File System.

Below are a couple of examples of the way things "should work":

Disable Swipe in Windows 8.1

How to Enable or Disable Charms Hint Corners in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Discussion on the subject:

A tile saying "Switch between apps" is stuck on the left side of the screen - how do I remove it?

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@khone

The issue you describe might be the way the settings are adjusted -- in which case you should be able to set the "swipe" to suit your needs -- or the settings are already adjusted correctly and this issue, too, is perhaps something honked (broken) in your Windows File System.

Below are a couple of examples of the way things "should work":

Disable Swipe in Windows 8.1

How to Enable or Disable Charms Hint Corners in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Discussion on the subject:

A tile saying "Switch between apps" is stuck on the left side of the screen - how do I remove it?

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon-Fur for your response.

Looked @ your link for Win 8-1. Don't think I have 8-1 as I don't see anything re "charms". However, I was able to get to the place where I could disable the "swipe" and clicked "off" and it, so far, works.

I appreciate your help in this.

P.S. Don't see the "accept as solution" link.

HP Recommended

@khone001

You are welcome - I am glad we could assist.

The "Solution" tab shows for the forum userid that started aThread.

You have signed in with a different ID this time -- so no solution tab / link.

@khone  started this thread.

No worries - I will request the thread be set as solution accepted.  Thanks for that and for the kudos.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.