Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ac018na Pentium N3700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
my problem is I can't update my graphics driver I currently have: Intel(R) HD Graphics. however this is a year old, I have installed Intel(R) Driver update utility. this displays a new driver called: Windows graphic driver for window 10, 8 and 7 [15.40] verison 20.19.15.4424. when I try to install this driver I get the error message: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer please obtain the appropriate driver. then directs me to the HP website to manually install the driver which I receive the same message again. it's sending me around in this loop, I require this driver for my games. I've tried messaging HP support on Twitter with no reply, I have also tried emailing and no reply. Intel support did get back to me telling me that the driver is for my model and that the manufacture is preventing it from installing and to contact them. this is my last place I can ask. does anybody know how I can fix this issue or how I can force install this driver onto my laptop as I'm stuck with a laptop I can't use.
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Download, and save but do not run the first file on the left side of the page.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-6...

The install this free file utility. The 2nd file listed is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip right click on the Intel graphics driver file you downloaded.   Select 7-Zip from the menu and have 7-Zip Extract All:  and let it extract the file into its folder name.

The go to the Device Manager, click to expand the Display adapters device category, right click the Intel HD graphics adapter, and select 'Update Driver Software'.

In the following window, select 'Browser my computer for driver software' and then at the bottom of that window, select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

In the next window, click the 'Have Disk' button and then browse to the extracted Intel driver folder 7-Zip created.

Browse into the sub-folder Graphics, left click on the file igdlh64.INF to highlight it and then click Open.

Click on 'Ok' and then click 'Next' and wait for the driver to install.

When done, click 'Close' and then click 'Yes' to restart the notebook.

HP Recommended
silly question, but are you wanting me to download the exe and the zip file? as you said download the first on the left handsome which is the exe but then you've provided the 7Zip which suggests you want me to download the zip file too.
HP Recommended

Hi:

it is not a silly question...

The exe file is for W7 64 bit. 

The zip file is supposed to be as well, but before I replied, I had checked the zip file contents and it is only for W7 32 bit.

So the only file you need is the 64 bit exe file.

If the contents of the zip file were correct, I would have told you to download the zip file.

That is why you need 7-zip to unpack the 64 bit exe file into its driver folder.

You use 7-zip to unpack the exe file into its folder so you don't get any of those reports regarding The driver being installed is not validated for this computer please obtain the appropriate driver-type messages.

HP Recommended
hi, sorry for the questions :S but is it ok for me to install it when I'm on Windows 10 64bit if you're saying its for Windows 7.
HP Recommended

Sorry, my bad.

If you look at the file it is for W10, not W7. 

I am so used to helping folks install W7 on PC's made for W10, it has stuck in my head.

HP Recommended
hello, I've tried installing the driver. it comes up with a new error saying: Windows has encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device : Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it: Intel HD graphics
the driver selected for this device does not support the Verison of Windows.
HP Recommended
when I've selected have disk > search for the file > igdlh64.inf > open > ok it automatically selects show compatible hardware > Intel(R) HD graphics and when I unselect show compatible hardware it shows other graphic drivers available but I'm not sure which is the latest out of them as it doesn't show the versions and just file name but none of them match the one in the link you've given.
HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work for you.

The other graphics adapters listed won't work. The one that is defaulted is the compatible driver and apparently trying to force that driver to install isn't going to work either.

HP Recommended
thanks for the help anyways!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.