Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

cannot change boot sequence on a hp pavilion entertainment pc

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey White_ Knight, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. I need to know a little more about it, though, and what you've tried. 

What are you trying to boot to?

Have you tried changing it by pressing F9 at power on? F9 will bring up a simplified Boot Order Menu where you can select a device for a single time use only. It won't permanently change the boot order.

You could also try going all the way into BIOS by pressing F10 at power on. Then arrow over to System Configuration and press Enter. Arrow down to Boot Options and press Enter. Arrow down to Boot Order and press Enter. Then user F5 or F6 to move the devices up or down in the order list.  

If you've tried those things, does the menu show correctly? Is the device you're intending to boot from shown in the list? When you select it, do you get an error message of some sort? 

Let me know a bit more, please and I'll be glad to help as much as I can 🙂

HP Recommended

I just tried the f9 at power on but it didn't do anything. Yes I have gone all the way into the BIOS but it won't let me pick a device to boot from. and the actual Laptop(notebook) is a pavilion dv2000. now i can press esc and then i can see the quick boot but it does not have any devices but the harddrive. I want to re-install the OS but can't get the cd/dvd to move ahead of the HD in the boot sequence.

HP Recommended

Ok just to be sure, are you arrowing down to the CD/DVD Drive in the boot order list, and then pressing F5 or F6 to move it? Being a dv2000, it may be a key other than F5/F6. Look around the screen for instructions on how to move the devices up or down the list. 

If the CD/DVD Drive is listed, is it grayed out or in other words, un-selectable? Are you able to select it at all? 

Also, do you happen to have a USB boot option listed in the boot order list? You could try copying the Windows ISO to a USB drive.

HP Recommended

First let me say Thank You for taking ur time & help. But I guess I am not expressing my problem clear enough, i have the ability to scroll, move them up and down the list, all that but the BIOS will NOT allow me to change or set the boot sequence period. and I cannot disable the HD to allow the cd/dvd to pick up. when I pull up the quick boot the only device showing is the HD. The cd/dvd or the usb does not even show. I followed all the instructions in the BIOS for moving them around. :Crying:

HP Recommended

Ok on your System Configuration screen in the BIOS, do you have an option for 'Floppy Boot'? 

dv2000BootOrder.jpg

If so, change that to Disabled. Then try to change the Boot Order again. Let me know if that helps 🙂

HP Recommended

I did that before i tried anything else and the one right above it says the same thing, cd rom boot [enabled]. I have left it alone and went down to the boot order and moved them all around to no avail. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

Have you also tried pressing F9 within the BIOS?

F9 will set the BIOS to its Default Settings. 

What BIOS version do you have currently? Are you able to get into Windows at all? If so, have you checked to see if there is a later BIOS version and tried to install it?

HP Recommended

Any luck with this issue? Setting the BIOS to Default Settings?

HP Recommended

My old hard drive crashed so I bought a new one and am trying to get it going. I am trying to change the boot sequence so I can boot the laptop from the CD drive. However, when I hit Esc on startup to take me to system setup, F9 is supposed to be for boot device options, F10 is supposed to be for BIOS. However, they both take me to system diagnostics... The hard drive has already passed the hard disk tests. I don't know what to do from here. Can someone help? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.