Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

hello HPsupport,

I'm Itsik from Israel, I bought at August 2010 HP Pavilion dv6-2120ej Entertainment Notebook PC.

we havn't charge the battery at all. I want to charge it now for the first time.

several Q's:

1) how many hours should I charge it up for the first time?

2) what about second & third charge, how long charge time?

3) doring the first, second & third charge I must not  use the Laptop?

4) when should I charge the battery?

5) when charging is it recommended not useing the Laptop?

thank you

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

The first time you charge the battery, I would leave the AC Adapter plugged in for at least 3 Hours after it shows to be fully charged ( 100% ).  After this, just charge the battery in the normal way.  Lithium ion batteries are best maintained by being charged when their charge level drops to about 40% of their total capacity.

You can quite happily use the laptop during the first charge and during subsequent charges.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

thank you

HP Recommended

first time in Li-on usually people say charge it for 7-10 hours , is it good? correct to do?

HP Recommended

Hi,

That would be fine - as I mentioned before, there is no problem in using the notebook during this time.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
how many hours should I charge it up for the first time?
HP Recommended

@mathew33,

With a modern Litium Ion battery, you just need to let it charge fully.  Once done, there's no need to leave it on charge.  However, there is also no harm if you leave it for several hours or more, the notebook has cicuitry that prevents any like over charging.  There is also no problem with using the notebook during the charging cycle.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello, and here comes a Q in my mind: which is the best way to maintain a li-ion battery? A friend told me he used his laptop for 5 years without unplugging it from charger and if he unplugs it the battery lasts for over 3 hrs. Other friend told me it's good to unplug the charger after full recharge and then when fully discharged (when battery icon gets red) to plug it back again and like this to do cycles. How should I maintain my battery so its life is max? Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the post mentoning the guidlines for first time charging

HP Recommended

Hi I have bought a HP 14q core i3 7th gen laptop and during my first charging within half an hour it got 100 % charged. So I disconnected the charging adapter. Is there any problem with that while first charging, whether I should have kept that for 5 or 6 hours for more charging initially?? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.