Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

I have an HP pavilion g6-2240sq with windows 7.

In the instructions that came with the notebook it says to touch quickly 2 times a circle on the left top of the touch pad to disable it. I tried this, but it doesnt work.

I want to disable the touch pad, cause it gets in the way of typing.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you!

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Looks like you might be running Windows 7 on a system designed for Windows 8 and you are running without TouchPad Drivers.

HP Pavilion g6-2240sq Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads

That does explain it.  No worries.  This is not my personal specialty;  I do have a couple of options for you.  If neither of them work because the drivers do not have the features you need or the drivers won't work well on your machine, we can ask for some extra help.

Options:

===========================================================================

• You might try running your Windows 8 driver in Compatibility mode.  Lots of software works in compatibility mode - whether the TouchPad driver will be happy in this instance is something you can try or not - personal choice.

Download and do not install:

sp61882 Synaptics TouchPad Driver 16.5.3.3

How to install and run drivers / software in Compatilbility Mode:

Running Drivers and Software in Compatibility Mode by AttackOfZaq

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this Windows 7 driver for a similar g6 computer:

sp53851 Synaptics TouchPad Driver 15.3.11.0

• Download and Double tap the package to install
  • Reboot / Restart the computer after the installation

Commentary

For something of this type, it is best if you have an external mouse attached -- this is common sense and not because of something flakey about to happen.  It is like running without a recovery disc and personal backups:  you may get away with it for years and then ONE day, Poof - there you are with a blank screen and no way to get your data back.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are several options to control that TouchPad. 

for the ON/OFF:  You may not be hitting the toggle in the upper left corner firmly enough OR the TouchPad may be disabled elsewhere.  Take a look below and see what you can find.

Reference for Later:

G6 User Guide c03529460

TouchPad On / Off Switch - Session

• The first option is to simply turn off the TouchPad with the on / off switch in the Upper Left corner.  It takes a firm double tap in the far upper left corner -- the switch is a toggle -- double tap for on, repeat for off.

Touch_pad_on-off.PNG

Disable TouchPad

You can select to disable the TouchPad

(Windows key + X) > Control Panel > Mouse > Select Tab TouchPad / ClickPad Settings >

Make sure that "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached" is UNCHECKED >

TouchPad Settings > Tapping >  Under "Top Left Action" > SELECT Switch TouchPad Off

Synaptics_Switch_TouchPad_Off.PNG

Disable TouchPad when external Mouse is connected

(Windows key + X) > Control Panel > Mouse > Select Tab TouchPad / ClickPad Settings >

CHECK "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached" UNCHECKED > OK

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, it would have been were usefull if I wouldn't get these menus on mouse properties:

Untitled-1.jpg

So I don't have the touchPad menus. Could it be because of the drivers on my windows 7? Any other solution for me, please?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Looks like you might be running Windows 7 on a system designed for Windows 8 and you are running without TouchPad Drivers.

HP Pavilion g6-2240sq Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads

That does explain it.  No worries.  This is not my personal specialty;  I do have a couple of options for you.  If neither of them work because the drivers do not have the features you need or the drivers won't work well on your machine, we can ask for some extra help.

Options:

• You might try running your Windows 8 driver in Compatibility mode.  Lots of software works in compatibility mode - whether the TouchPad driver will be happy in this instance is something you can try or not - personal choice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this Windows 7 driver for a similar g6 computer:

sp53851 Synaptics TouchPad Driver 15.3.11.0

• Download and Double tap the package to install
  • Reboot / Restart the computer after the installation

Commentary

For something of this type, it is best if you have an external mouse attached -- this is common sense and not because of something flakey about to happen.  It is like running without a recovery disc and personal backups:  you may get away with it for years and then ONE day, Poof - there you are with a blank screen and no way to get your data back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thanks a lot Dragon-Fur!

The first solution worked:

Now I can finally sleep with my head on the touchpad 🙂

Regards!

HP Recommended

Excellent!

Keep the "Compatibility" instructions around; this does not work for everything - it does work for quite a lot of software simply because Windows 8 is based on Windows 7 (which is based on Vista) -- there is just a lot of code built on top of other code. 

You can sometimes get away with just saying, "Just learn to get along in there."  :generic:

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I'm also having same problem in my hp pavilion , any one know the solution for this problem ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.