Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I disable the touchpad on the Elitebook 8540 using Windows 7?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I am going to assume that you tried switching off the touch pad with the button that is usually located just to the top of the mouse pad. Does your model have one ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Go to:

Control Panel -> Mouse

and click ' Device settings ' tab. Highlight touchpad on the list and hit ' Disable ' button which is little lower.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the quick response. No, there is no on/off button or switch anywhere near the touch pad. There is also nothing in control panel > mouse.

Im thinking some of the good stuff from XP is not in Win7

HP Recommended

You will need to find the driver for your mouse pad. Please give your complete model number so Dan or Cheryl can find it for you. Then are more experienced at that then I am.

I hoping that ounce the driver is installed you will be able to go into the control panel like Dan had you do and disable it.

Usually it's the "Synaptics Touch Pad" driver.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Locating the model number.

HP Recommended

Download and install:

Synaptics TouchPad here (ver 15.0.17.2  for 32/64 bit Win7)

It looks then You haven't got installed this driver because this option must be available there.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

According to the MANUAL it is the 5th button from the left on top with what looks more like a screen icon then a touchpad icon.

U may need to load the HP button drivers if u changed something from what u got from HP.

It is avail on the website download page.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.