Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do I put the desktop app back on the start screen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I assume you're talking about Windows 8. Didn't even realise it was possible to lose that shortcut, kind of strengthens my misgivings about it as an OS...  I don't use it myself so can't help you with restoring that shortcut per se (don't know what it would have to link to, nor exactly how you go about adding shortcuts to the start screen) - but if I remember correctly the keyboard shortcut to show the desktop is (WinKey + D).

Hope this is of some help, at least.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the operating system on your machine ? Do you mean the deskstop or start with Windows ? Normally we can right click the application (in All Programs folder) then send to Desktop OR Pin to Taskbar OR Pin to Start...

Regards. 

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I assume you're talking about Windows 8. Didn't even realise it was possible to lose that shortcut, kind of strengthens my misgivings about it as an OS...  I don't use it myself so can't help you with restoring that shortcut per se (don't know what it would have to link to, nor exactly how you go about adding shortcuts to the start screen) - but if I remember correctly the keyboard shortcut to show the desktop is (WinKey + D).

Hope this is of some help, at least.

HP Recommended

Thanks, It doesn't put the tile back on the start page, but works just as well.

HP Recommended

This problem is clearly NOT solved so nor is it rocket science, it is a common occurence because I am in the same state as are many others. Out of all the useless items on win8 start screen the only one which we need is the only one lost forever.  Surely some instruction manual should be available? This problem stems from MS creating a Hybrid system something between toy phones and computers and we don't get the best of both worlds but a bodge instead. The shortcut is a great idea but where is a list of shortcuts or any other info on win 8? and anyway this does not fix the problem!

HP Recommended

Everyone

The following website has step by step instructions on how to restore a missing “Desktop” tile.

How to Restore Missing "Desktop" Tile on Start Screen in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/19533-desktop-restore-missing-tile-windows-8-start-screen.html

Please feel free to re-post if you have any other questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

I accidentally unpinned the Desktop, Music & Videos application from the jumplist of the File Explorer of the Start Menu.  How do I recover the unpinned items?  My OS is Windows 10.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!

Win D works perfectly!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.