Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My laptop is rebooting and seems to  be changing the BIOS.  Is this a safe change?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Hey Laruppert,

Did you try and update the laptop bios? If so, this shouldn't be an issue. Just continue with the update.

-Sean
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, so I was doing an HP Update and then suddenly a screen appeared which said "Operating System Boot Mode Change (021)" is pending. It gave me two options, either to press ESC (to avoid the change) or to type 1255+enter (to go on with the change).

So I wasn't sure what to do, I just pressed 1255+enter. What is this change that has happened? I don't even know what it means. 

HP Recommended

@Arym,

By chance, did you disable something called Secure Boot and enabled Legacy mode in BIOS?

What you described sounds like the verification screen one receives when these changes are made.  

Was it like the following image?

This is what is received when disabling Secure Boot as outlined in the following document.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

If this is the case, it can always be changed back by loading the defaults within BIOS.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

That is exactly the message I got, but I didn't request it or anything. and I have no idea what legacy mode is 😕

Should I follow the steps in the link you sent and enable secure boot again?

HP Recommended

I would recommend setting the BIOS to default.  Enter BIOS and press the default key (usually f9) and then save and exit.  This should return the settings to the defaults including Secure Boot.

Secure boot is a method to prevent advanced malware from booting or unauthorized OSes from booting at startup.  With Secure Boot enabled, only OSes that have a signature in the BIOS will be bootable.  At the moment, there are some Linux distributions that have a signature file (though, a bit spotty in Linux) and Windows 8.  If you wanted to boot something else, such as Windows 7, you would need to disable secure boot.  Legacy mode is where non-Secure Boot OSes will be bootable. 

If you only want to boot Windows 8, then restoring the defaults will most likely be the simplest solution. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I have Windows 7 installed on this computer, don't even have Windows 8.

I went into the F10 utility settings and Legacy Mode is enabled currently and I dont even have the option of enabling or disabling Secure Boot (the link on the sub-menu is grey and I can't select it).

I'm really confused, where do I go to BIOS default settings from?

HP Recommended
If you have Windows 7, I would leave it as is. Secure boot should be disabled by default if it came with Windows 7. If secure boot is enabled, Windows 7 will no longer boot. As to why you received the message, I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this point.

If you want to enable defaults for good measure, the key to load the default settings should be listed at the bottom of the BIOS screen. It's typically f9.
Signature
HP Recommended

Thank you. I will do that 🙂

HP Recommended

You are most welcome.  I'm glad I was able to assist.

Thanks for updating the community.  🙂

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.