Question

Honor Student
MikeGodett
Message 1 of 3 (2,613 Views)

DVD burner doesn't burn CD or DVD

Laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6700 CTO Entertainment .  I have been attempting to create a data DVD.  When I attempt to burn the DVD with Power2Go, it goes through the process, but nothing is burned to the disc and the disc appears empty after the burn process is completed.  The same thing occurs using other software burning applications.  It is as if I requested a simulation.  I have tried different brands of media and no improvement.
I had this problem when the computer was new and I couldn't burn a Recovery disc.  So, HP sent me one.  Then before the computer was returned for repairs, it started working.  Now it won't.
Your help is appreciated.
Mike G.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (2,603 Views)

Re: DVD burner doesn't burn CD or DVD

Hi Mike,

First of all you could try the automated fixit for your Operating System from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

If the above fix hasn't worked, try the following.  From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this.  Again, do not delete drivers if asked.

Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  If your optical drive appears here, right click and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Restart your PC and let Windows re-install these devices.  Give it a minute or two, then see if the drive is working.

If the above has not resolved the problem, carry on with the process below.

First run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Windows 7

Vista

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  If your optical drive appears here, right click and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Let me know how it goes.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
dvir5698823
Message 3 of 3 (2,197 Views)

Re: DVD burner doesn't burn CD or DVD

Hi !

I have tried to do what you told me to, but now the burning program dosent recognize the dvd/r drive.

Nothing helps, please help me !!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation