Question

Honor Student
Pavilliondv8
Message 1 of 7 (14,597 Views)

HP DVDWBD TS-LB23L stopped detecting DVD/BLU-RAY

Laptop info:

HP Pavillion dv8-1190eo (5 months old)

In the middle of watching a DVD movie, the player stopped working. The movie "froze", didn't start on its own, so I removed the DVD from the tray to check for scratches and dirt on the DVD (and found none but even cleaned it anyway). This was the last time the DVD/Blu Ray player worked. It has been possible to play a single audio CD but other than this, the device does not even detect that any CD/DVD/BLU RAY is in the tray. I have tried with approximately 12 different DVD's, including DVD's that it has played flawlessly before, including brand new DVDs and brandnew writeable DVDs.

What happens on loading a disc in the tray is:

1. it makes a sounds as if attempting to read the disc

2. the small disc icon appears briefly next to the curser

but nothing more. When checking START --> COMPUTER it shows the Blu-ray Disc-ROM-drive but it doesn't show that any disc is in the tray. When double clicking the drive, the tray opens with an "insert disc" message.

With the aid of HP Phone Support over the phone, we have checked the registry to see if there were any conflicts (e.g. iTunes and similar). Everything was ok.

Then we restored to an earlier point where the devise was working but to no avail.

Then we downloaded the driver from HP's site and installed it, but to no avail. Upon a second attempt of installing the driver, we received an error message: "This software is for Windows Vista, Windows Vista WMC, Windows 7, Windows 7 WMC". According to HP Phone Support it is indeed the correct file for Windows 7 64 bit.

I have also tried running HP Support Assistant to trouble shoot, but this is not working as it asks that I load a writeable disc to perform the test. It does not detect the writeable disc I put into the tray, so I cannot perform this test.

According to device manager, the device is working properly.

HP Phone Support's suggestion is that I make a complete restore. This means taking full backup of all data (which I should do anyway), restore, and then install everything I have on my computer again. I am not happy to do this as it is quite a bit

of time consuming work. The other option is to let HP Support pick up the laptop and send it for repair and be without the computer for a minimum of 10 work days (which would easily be 3 weeks or more) which is not really an option for me.

I can see from these forums that I am not the only one experiencing problems with the DVDWBD TS-LB23L, although HP Phone Support refuses that this is a "known issue".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (14,593 Views)

Re: HP DVDWBD TS-LB23L stopped detecting DVD/BLU-RAY

I suggest that you contact HP for warranty support. The Blu-ray \ DVD drive is an item covered by warranty.  There is no firmware update for the device available.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Pavilliondv8
Message 3 of 7 (14,589 Views)

Thank you for your fast reply.

It is indeed HP warranty support that I have spoken with in length yesterday, and more briefly today. They give me the options between complete restore which they will guide me through over the phone (as stated above, this is a quite time consuming procedure with full backup, restore, then reinstall of all software, then backup copied back to laptop), or alternatively, to pick up the laptop and send it to repair which means I would be without computer for at least 2 weeks, but most likely 3 weeks or more - this is not an option to me as I don't have a spare computer, and there are obligations which I can't meet without a working computer at home.

Honor Student
Pavilliondv8
Message 4 of 7 (14,581 Views)

I have borrowed an external DVD drive. Media Smart works with the external DVD drive while the HP DVDWBD TS-LB23L continues to not work.

Does this point toward a hardware defect or could it still be a software issue?

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 7 (14,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

It points to a hardware fault. The drive has issues and should be replaced.

Call the service center again and ask if you can replace the drive yourself. That is if you feel confident enough to do that.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
pietruzzolisa
Message 6 of 7 (14,089 Views)

still "try" to give us a firmware update and then, perhaps, we will change the drive, costs less to us.

Honor Student
Kultastik
Message 7 of 7 (7,686 Views)

You could try this post. I found the fix it yourself suggestion to work for me. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/hp-dvdwbd-ts-lb23l-ins-t-reading-andy-d...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation