Question

Honor Student
CLShep
Message 1 of 74 (102,339 Views)

HP MediaSmart DVD won't play Blu-Ray's

I'm hoping someone can help me out in trying to figure out why my HP HDX 18 won't play Blu-Ray movies using HP MediaSmart.

When I pop a Blu-Ray in the optical, HP MediaSmart starts up and it looks like it's going to the play the movie however, it proceeds to ask me if I want to "activate" the app. I click YES thinking it's the first time I've used it so I guess I need to activate it.....however, it then pulls up a browser that directs me to download a patch from CyberLink.

I download and attempt to install the patch however it tells me that MediaSmart is currently installed and the patch requests to uninstall the previous version.

I agree to do so and after a few seconds, it comes up with an error message (error!! the product definition file lost).

I retry MediaSmart thinking this time I'll press NO, I don't want to activate and when I do this, nothing happens at all.

When I open My Computer, I can see the Transformers Blu-Ray in the drive and can right click and Explore the Blu-Ray as well so I know the drive is seeing it.

I called HP support and while the guy was nice enough, he was at a complete loss in trying to figure out why my Blu-Ray player would not play any movies. He tried multiple steps from going to the MSCONFIG and disabling all programs at Start Up, disabling Windows Installer (not sure why he wanted to try this step), to trying to recover the program from the partition itself. Nothing worked.

His final resolution was to perform a complete system recovery which I balked at as I have multiple programs installed (that would have to be reinstalled) and don't feel it necessary to perform a system recovery to "fix" my Blu-Ray issue.

And just to clarify, yes...my optical drive is indeed Blu-Ray optical drive.

Any advise or direction anyone can point me in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Shep
Teacher
Toronto699
Message 2 of 74 (102,328 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart DVD won't play Blu-Ray's

try this , run HP Health Check and see if it finds an update to mediasmat , if not try this , open Mediasmart DVD at the bottom of mediasmart look for this *  { Settings} and select update , media smart should find an update.  my second question what BlueRay DVD are u trying to play , the latest version of media smart i have is version 2.2.2.2905 from my HDX driver and download page , tonight after reading your post the * {settings} i see a newer update for mediasmart DVD.  i have not found a Blue Ray disk i cannot play , i buy the latest BD movies every tuesday when realesed

Teacher
Toronto699
Message 3 of 74 (102,439 Views)

i just ran Mediasmart update thats contained in the media smart software i have a new version 2.2.2.2905 that is not on the HP driverpage
Honor Student
CLShep
Message 4 of 74 (102,411 Views)

Thanks for the help as it is appreciated.  Unfortunately, both steps that you presented did not fix the issue.

When I hit the update from from MediaSmart it does start the download and install however, I get the same message as I did before:

It tells me that MediaSmart is currently installed and the updaterequests to uninstall the previous version.

I agree to do so and after a few seconds, it comes up with the same error message (error!! the product definition file lost).

I tried Health Check as well, no joy.

I'm trying to play Transformers (yes, the 1st one) on the Blu-Ray....even tried 300 and still no joy.

Here's the kicker.....while waiting for a reply from my post, I went to CNET and downloaded CyberLink Power DVD 9 and the movie plays on this program but it won't on MediaSmart!  What the heck?!

I'd like to say "problem solved" using a different player however, Power DVD 9 is not a free program as it costs nearly $100.00!  I'm using the trial version now to see if this would correct my issue.

I don't feel I should have to kick down $100 for something I already have on my HDX18....

Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Shep

Teacher
Toronto699
Message 5 of 74 (102,902 Views)

[ Edited ]

ok try to restore the mediasmart soft ware heres how , http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3552675&rul... use this to restore mediasmart {Recovery Manager}  u will only restore mediasmart using these driections.

when u tried to update the software did u chose RUN  , instead of downloading to HD? and did u close the mediasmart program during install

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-03-2009 09:48 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-03-2009 09:51 PM
Honor Student
arnoldo
Message 6 of 74 (102,283 Views)

I tried restoring the media smart software as you suggested but still can't play blu-rays.  On a positive note after the reinstall I was finally able to use my mediasmart TV via the start >all  programs> hp>hp  smart media> hp tv.
Honor Student
Ed2009
Message 7 of 74 (102,028 Views)

http://docs.cyberlink.com/multi/patch/enu/result.jsp?SR=HTS080610-01&ProductNo=HTS00009&AutoBuildID=...

Ref.

Download your available patch now!

We have detected that the following Blu-ray Disc software player from CyberLink is installed in your system.

Please click on the "Download free patch now" button and press "Run" to install the patch. This will update your software player to the latest version.

Your Product:

TouchSmart

Download free patch now

Warning: Please note that if you decline to update your software, you may not be able to watch Blu-ray Disc movie titles.

Top Student
julier
Message 8 of 74 (100,727 Views)

Honor Student
arnoldo
Message 9 of 74 (100,554 Views)

Downloading the cyberlink patch didn't work.  Finally had to reinstall the OS to get the blue ray working which shouldn't have had to been done in the first place:smileymad:

Honor Student
goatserv
Message 10 of 74 (95,097 Views)

The first link leds to a cyberlink page where i can't continue because theres nothing to click on.

mediasmart is up to date with me, but the cyberlink BR advsor means my laptop doesn't habe a BR Player neither a software.

i'm using Win7_64. Any suggests?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation