HP Mediasmart DVD Update (6293 Views)
Honor Student
JJones
Message 1 of 20 (6,293 Views)

HP Mediasmart DVD Update

I got an error message that my HP HDX Premium Series laptop would not play a new Blu-Ray disk when I tried to play it.  The message referred to a CyberLink site.  I have tried 5 different update solutions:

The HP update utility does not work.

Updating within the application did not work.

sp48296.exe appears to run, but the software does not install

sp470256.exe appears to run, but the software does not install

HP-CNBv4215_2007_HTS091023-02_Nromal.exe will not run, because it cannot uninstall the previous version of the software

I cannot uninstall the previous version of the software either, using the Control Panel Program Uninstaller or the Uninstaller in System Mechanic.  A message appears saying "Errorr!!  The product definition file lost."  I also cannot uninstall the  program in Safe Mode.

How can I get a clean install of HP Mediasmart DVD that will play all current Blu-Ray disks?

Exasperated,

JJones

p/n  FW314AV

Win7  64bit

HL-DT-ST  BDDVDRW CT10L  Firmware YC07

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 20 (6,279 Views)

Re: HP Mediasmart DVD Update

Hi,

This assumes you are running Windows 7.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and use it to uninstall your HP MediaSmart DVD Software.  Right click on the icon of the program you wish to remove and select Uninstall.  During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete.  Do the same for any left over files and folders.  Once the uninstall has completed, reboot the PC.

Next, download the latest installer for MediaSmart DVD on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50935.exe

If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip.  Right click the installer you download, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder, open src and scroll down until you see the setup application ( 6th from the bottom with a size of 310Kb ).  Right click this Setup Application and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When the installation has completed, restart the notebook and see if you can now play your Blu ray discs.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
RDunge
Message 3 of 20 (6,142 Views)

When I get to the setup.exe I can't open it as an administrator. When I open it normally it begins to install but I get the error code: 1316.A network error occured while attempting to read from the file. When I right click there is no option to run as administrator, so is there another way to do this?

Thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 20 (6,129 Views)

Hi,

Could you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. of your notebook ( ie dv5-1130ea ) or the Part No.

2.  The operating system you have installed.

3.  Can you normally see the 'Run as Administrator' option when you right click an executable file?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
RDunge
Message 5 of 20 (6,117 Views)

HDX 18, p/n NK148AV

Windows 7 64 bit

I dont see the option, but I change the properties to run as administrator, and it still doesn't work, so i think it must be something else

Thanks

RDunge

Top Student
RDunge
Message 6 of 20 (6,111 Views)

I get the error message: Error 1316.A network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:\Randy\Desktop\sp50935\src\MediaSmart DVD.msi

Then Error 1603 Fatal error during installation.

Don't know if that will help, but thought I'd put it out there

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 20 (6,097 Views)

I spoke to David about this and he agreed to let me give a hand here, but I need some information from you first to help you with your problem and some other to help me solve a problem with an HDX that I am working on now.

Your problem :

As far as I know, all the HDX18 machines were running Vista, did you do an upgrade or a clean install to W7 ?

What version of BIOS are you running ? Type in "System Information" in the search box to find out, with out the quotes.

My Problem :

Are you running HP 3D Drive Guard, it's found in the control panel ? If so, are you running 2 hard rives on your machine and do they both show up in HP Drive Guard. One will say "Primary drive protected" and the other will say "Multi Bay Drive Protected" or something close to that.

If you are running HP Drive Guard and both hard drives are protected, could you please go to "Programs and Features" in the control panel and find Drive Guard there. Look over in the far right column and tell me what version you are running.

As far as your Blu-ray player is concerned, there are a few things that I will have you do, but I can't guarantee anything.

The only sure fire way to get the player working is to do a clean install of W7. I can guarantee that it will work, but you have to follow my installation instructions to the letter.

I am very familiar with the HDX series and I will take you through the entire process to do a proper clean install of W7.

That is assuming that you were running Vista, but I am quite sure I am right about that.

Top Student
RDunge
Message 8 of 20 (6,091 Views)

I upgraded to W7

My bios version is F.32

I couldn't find anything about HP 3D guard, but i did see something for ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection, but I don't know if that's in any way relevant.

I'd kinda like to avoid a clean install if possible because I've never done anything like that, but if you could help me that would be great.

Thanks

RDunge

Honor Student
JJones
Message 9 of 20 (6,070 Views)

Thanks for the tips.  I no longer see HP Mediasmart DVD on the uninstall list.  However, the HP Mediasmart DVD installer did not work.  It ran (3 times), but the application is not on my computer.  Any other ideas?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 20 (6,068 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ everyone

I will leave some replies on the weekend because there is no time during the week as I work all day long.

Please be patient.  :smileyhappy:

In the mean time everyone install CCleaner, it will be needed.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Download this version of Media Smart DVD to the desk top with IE8 and wait for my instructions. I have been using this version for a long time and so far it has played all my Blu-rays and gives the least amount of trouble.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48296.exe

Ounce downloaded, right click on the file and go to properties in the general tab and it should be a 60 MB file - Size on disk : 63,008,768 bytes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next post is what I was going to have you do, the first part you have more or less tries already with David, but the forced install is something new and it may work.

However the best way to deal with this is to do a clean install to W7 and that way I can guarantee your Blu-ray player will work. All of this crutching along trying to get it to work is actually taking longer then doing a proper clean install.

Here is the tutorial that I like to use, just read it and understand, but do anything. There is a more you need to do before you fly into it if you decide to do so. I will help you with the whole process so you get it right the first time.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation