Question

Honor Student
saltz
Message 1 of 9 (5,136 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP envy 17 3d won't play a dvd

i have an HP Envy 17 3D notebook and i've played this specific movie on it before and it worked just fine but now it won't play using the built in media player and i'm wonderign if anyone knows of any solutions.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 9 (5,116 Views)

Re: HP envy 17 3d won't play a dvd

[ Edited ]

When you say built in media player, do you mean Media Smart DVD ?

Is it just DVD's that you are not able to play or  Blu-ray's and DVD's, (3D Blu-ray's maybe) ?

If it's just the DVD's that are not playing, have you tried using Windows Media Player ?

Were there any Windows updates that came in or have you installed any new software that may cause the player to stop working ?

What is the movie that has now stopped playing ?

Honor Student
saltz
Message 3 of 9 (5,038 Views)

It's a 3D documentary called under the sea. I've also found that Clash of the titans 3D doesn't work either. I've installed daemon tools lite and several programs that came with cameras for archiving videos. My dad got this laptop primarily for it's 3D so without that it's just a really nice PC. It will load the dvd and then say press play to start then i press play and it loads the dvd again and says press play to start. The dvd's are Blu-ray as well

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 9 (5,018 Views)

You need to get rid of Daemon Tools. it conflicts with HP Media Smart, use Virtual Clone instead.

First, create a manual Windows restore point before dong anything so you can at least get back to where you were.

Second, type in "regedit" in the search box with out the quotes and navigate to the SPTD file and note how you got there,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services >sptd.

Third, go to the device manager and find Storage Controllers and expand that and there should be at least one that says Daemon Tools and/or Duplexsecure.

Fourth, uninstall Daemon Tools, I believe their site has a special tool to uninstall it correctly. Restart after uninstalling DT.

Now go back and repeat the second step and make sure that the SPTD drive is gone, if it's not, you will have to start in safe mode and right click to delete it.

Go back to step three and make sure that there are no storage controllers with those names on it. Uninstall them if they are present and restart. If there are any virtual drives left in the device manager, delete those as well and restart.

Go to computer now and make sure that there are no virtual drives present, there should be only one device with removable storage and that is your BD-ROM Drive and in almost all cases it's named "E", but what is important is that it be the first drive present in devices with removable storage.

Try your movie again.

We may have to reinstall MS DVD, but it may work without having too. If you need to reinstall it again, let me know as there is a procedure for this.

Post again and send a PM with the link of this thread if you still have problems.

Commodo Firewall also causes conflicts with MS DVD as well as AVG Anti Virus software.

Honor Student
saltz
Message 5 of 9 (5,010 Views)

thank you a ton, all i had to do was uninstall daemon tools and reboot and the problem was fixed. 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 9 (5,005 Views)

That's great _ nice and simple. :smileyvery-happy:

There was a time when Daemon Tools was very difficult to remove. I thought I would cover all the bases though.

I use my machines to play Blu-ray's as well and Virtual Clone Drive works fine with MS DVD.

Honor Student
tecknique714
Message 7 of 9 (898 Views)

the sptd never popped up after i followed those steps, yet my computer no longer plays the dvds.  it dvd pops up in my file explorer but dvd player that automatically popped up before no longer pops up.  i also tried the media player and it wont come up on that either?

Honor Student
tecknique714
Message 8 of 9 (896 Views)

mine is actually the hp envy touchsmart notebook

Honor Student
Nashwan_dhk
Message 9 of 9 (837 Views)

i con not delete   SPTD

i start i save mode oslo and it say can not delete it

help please  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation