Question

Tutor
Drummer89
Message 1 of 11 (3,092 Views)

Windows Media Center, Windows 7 and HP ATSC/Analog TV Tuner

I can't get windows media center to find signals using my TV tuner anymore. I used to be able to watch TV on my computer using either a digital antenna or analog cable, but now I can't.

I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) on an HPdv6 laptop. I upgraded to windows 7 from vista quite awhile ago, but I can't remember if it stopped working after I installed windows 7 or not. I'm not exactly sure what model number my TV tuner is, but it says it is an HP ATSC/Analog TV Tuner in the device manager. It also says it's manufactured by AverMedia, but it doesn't give the product number or model number. Maybe the tuner isn't compatible with windows 7? There is no way I can find out if I don't know the product number...

I've tried updating the driver for the tuner, but that didn't help. WMC simply can't pick up a signal from the tuner anymore, so all of the channels are fuzzy.

What else can I do?

Tutor
Nckhammond
Message 2 of 11 (3,063 Views)

Re: Windows Media Center, Windows 7 and HP ATSC/Analog TV Tuner

could the adapter cable be loose or broken internally so it isnt getting a signal?

Tutor
Drummer89
Message 3 of 11 (2,915 Views)

I don't know if it could be broken internally, because I can't open the computer up. The cables look fine, and everything seems to be securely attached.

I've been searching for solutions on this, but I still can't find anything. It would be nice if HP listed the actual model of the device so I could locate the latest drivers and get more information. Unfortunately, the device is only listed in the device manager as HP ATSC/Analog TV Tuner, and it's made by Avermedia.

I have no idea what to do next.

mj9 Tutor
Tutor
mj9
Message 4 of 11 (2,911 Views)

well mine came with windows 7 and  the program says can't find tv turner!

Tutor
Nckhammond
Message 5 of 11 (2,893 Views)

is it still listed in the  device manager?  its ether an avermedia or hauppauge card. just pick a random win 7 driver for the right brand and force it to install. then update the driver with windows update to get the right one.

Tutor
Drummer89
Message 6 of 11 (2,884 Views)

Nckhammond wrote:

is it still listed in the  device manager?  its ether an avermedia or hauppauge card. just pick a random win 7 driver for the right brand and force it to install. then update the driver with windows update to get the right one.

Yes, mine is listed in the device manager as HP ATSC/Analog TV Tuner. When I click on its properties, it says it's made by Avermedia. So you're suggesting that I download a random Avermedia driver? I don't understand what that would do... I already tried to update the driver, and it says I have the most recent version. I also checked the HP site to see if they released a different version or something. Nope, same version that I have installed. Still doesn't work.

Tutor
Nckhammond
Message 7 of 11 (2,865 Views)

i originally installed the only a driver for an 305, windows auto updated the correct driver for my a317 model and it started working fine. mine doesnt actually say HP anything, it says avermedia atsc tuner. I would try to find the avermedia driver first.  otherwise the adapter cable (external) is known to go bad. you can get them on ebay or i have made them from parts at radio shack. ebay was cheaper.

mj9 Tutor
Tutor
mj9
Message 8 of 11 (2,651 Views)

[ Edited ]

the correct thing to do would be to make a utility to find out what the product number it is!

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 9 of 11 (2,576 Views)

Have you updated the BIOS recently?  I also have an internal TV tuner on my dv6 using an analog cable signal.  When I updated my BIOS all the analog channels had tearing and static in the picture but the digital channels came in fine.  When I downgraded back the previous version of BIOS, the issue stopped.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Tutor
Nckhammond
Message 10 of 11 (2,571 Views)

there is a utility that does that. go into device manager and put the hardware id in a responce

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation