Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP DV6 6060ep
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I think it still remain the comon problem on HP Notebooks that HP dont give support for new OS (It's why next purchase I should take in consideration if it should be HP).

My notebook as an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and ATI AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series.

8Gb Ram and SSD disk.

This issue occurs on windows 8.1 also but was solved with Catalyst UnifLdrivers (with lot of work).

After upgrading to windows 10, my notebook that took 6 seconds to load system, now, it remains in a minimum 40s black screen, and sometimes after pressing a lot of keys (also windows key+P to change screen was tried) it brings logon screen.

Tried new drivers for intel HD 3000  and the new from ATI AMD but problem still remains.

Since HP dont care with customers that have "hold" notebooks with mores than 3 years, (don't develop custom drivers) I ask to the users of this forum if they have some known solution or workaround to solve this, (I really don't want do downgrade to windows 7).

Best Regards

(sorry some bad english)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem is with you AMD Radeon HD 6700M graphics card. I had exactly same problem on more than one notebooks with that same specs (not only HP).

Note that that problem only occurs after graphics card driver is installed trought Windows Update!

I could solve it once by installing another graphics driver... a Windows 8 driver, downloaded from AMDs website (the only Windows 10 driver available was provided by Microsoft trought Windows Update).

After installing that driver, Windows would start normaly... no long time black screen. But... there were some applications that would not work properly. I don't remember what, but I think simple applications like Adobe Reader and Photo Gallery just showed some weird error and would not open files.

Changing the driver fix the boot speed problem, but brought others. Anyway, since the driver was earlier than the provided on Windows Update, Windows 10 would end up redownloading the latest version automatically (trought Windows Update)... and the problem would come again.

I don't know if Microsoft or AMD released some new driver to fix that... but i don't believe so. Unless they do that, you will have to go back to your previsous OS... or just hang on a bit at Windows boot up if you want to keep it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have just upgraded to windows 10 and are sitting at a black screen for way too long here's the problem and how to fix it.

If you have an on board Intel graphics controller as well as an add on graphics card, windows thinks you have one more monitor connected than you actually have. so when windows loads its outputting the video signal to a bogus monitor.

How to fix this
firstly wait long enough so the mouse cursor to appear when you move the mouse.
(blank screen with a white mouse cursor)

Then press the space-bar and enter your login password or pin (yes your doing this blind)

You should now be logged into windows 
if the desktop dose not appear after 30 seconds then press WindowsKey-P down arrow twice and enter.

I hope this helps

Let me know 

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

~~Psywaves~~
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for your repply.

Already tried that solution, and all the time when screen cames on, the screen selected was notebook screen.

I am going to test notebook with other connected screen to check if is that the real problem and came back to answer.

thanks.

HP Recommended

Thats a good idea.

let me know what happens.

~~Psywaves~~
HP Recommended
I, tried with hdmi TV connected and behaviour still the same. Tried with monitor and same problem.

Hi see logon symbol, then the minimum 40 seconds black screen and if lucky It a pears login to enter password. I'll check if someone find work around but so far I'm moving to windows 7 and moving out from HP.

Best regards.
HP Recommended

HP is the best when it comes to laptops or printers. Don't get me wrong.
The last step you should take is to uninstall the OS and then install it back again.
This is an ongoing issue too as per my research and did find a lot of people having the same issue due to the installation not running properly.
I believe every issue has a fix after all it's man made.
Let's not lose hope
Or you may want to wait for the next update.
Cause when any company comes out with an OS or software there are always bugs to fix or in a span of time things get better

~~Psywaves~~
HP Recommended
It'seems true, it was the machine with less trouble that I had, and I use on job professional waterproof Panasonic, toshiba pro, and this domestic HP let me very happy on hardware performance. But I have made a disk clone, upgraded both to windows 10 with same issues, and also 2 clean installation that is worst than upgrading. The lack of interest from HP to this consumers is th worst.

Cheers.
HP Recommended
Let me see who at HP I can reach out to then. I don't know if they can help but I know they will try.

~~Psywaves~~
HP Recommended

Hello

It's hard to tell what you may have done already but it sounds like it is taking awhile to allocate after the upgrade.  I would run disk cleanup and defrag then try the following system test and let me know what happens.

Run the System Test

"The System Test runs from the Startup menu. It checks the main components of your computer to make sure they are working properly. Use the following steps to run the System Test to check for problems.

1. Press and hold the Power button until the computer turns off completely.

2. Turn on the computer.

3. Immediately press the Esc key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu displays.

4. Press the F2 key. The System Diagnostics screen displays.

5. Click System Tests.

NOTE: The diagnostics test options vary depending on your notebook model. For example, some computers might have a Start-Up Test option. Follow the on-screen prompts provided on your notebook.

c04485611.jpg

Figure : System Tests System Tests The System Tests page opens. Click on Extensive Test.

Figure : Extensive Test

1. Extensive Test The System Extensive Test window opens.

2. Click Run Once. The test could take several hours, depending on the configuration of your system.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

With this being more of a Microsoft thing than an HP thing, it's hard to provide support when an upgrade or OS change is done by the consumer on an out-of-warranty machine but it doesn't hurt to try to actually reach out to customer support and politely ask to be escalated for further assistance.  

Click the link below and hopefully you can reach a solution with them.

--Contact HP--

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.