Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion 15 with the the screen specs as below...

-  15.6" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160) Touchscreen

And I noticed that the screen is completely shiny and glossy and has not an iota of anti-glare properties I could see in any ambient light condition, indoors or outdoors. The screen reflected everything in front of it, even when it is on!  When it is off, the screen is like a mirror!

So my question. Does HP make really anti-glare touch screens? Or  is it another gimmick to sell more touch screens under the guise of advertizing them as anti-glare?  Based on the reply, I am planning to complain to FTC on this practice as being misleading and dishonest advertising ploy.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Nearly all touchscreens are shiny (laptops, smartphones, tablets, monitors ... ). You can opt to buy a non-touchscreen taptop.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Why is HP advertising the screens as "Anti-Glare"?  I did not notice any anti-glare properties?  Not even remotely comparable to any external anti-glare screen protector that can be put on those glossy screens!

HP Recommended

Hi,

What is your Pavilion 15 ? I have not seen any Pavilion machine which has more than FHD screen. Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi

The product name:  HP Pavilion Notebook

Product Number: T9Y49AV

Serial Number: [personal information removed]

Regards.

HP Recommended

Have same issue with brand new "HP Pavilion Laptop-gaming 17t touch" with"17.3" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) Touchscreen". Returned 1st one, thinking they may have put in wrong screen; 2nd is identical. A complete mirror. I can see every light and read my LCD watch crystal clear in the reflection.

Been going back and forth with HP support and sales for 2 months now. At one point someone in India said he confirmed that the website is wrong, and anti-glare is NOT available. As of yet, website hasn't been changed.  

I love the specs on this laptop, but screen is so reflective it would be unusable in my office (let alone outdoors!).  

At this point I'm shopping for an anti-glare screen protector, hoping that won't loose too much clarity or brightness.  Considering the Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare.  If anyone else has recommendations, I would be grateful!

HP Recommended

I think touchscreens dont come with antiglare. Similar to the HP Dv 9000 series i have since 2008 . It comes with a anti glare coating only , not matt screen.  WHich means it is less glossy than regular glossy screen i will say a mixture of glossy and matt characteristics  . I have some pictures to show u this type of screen on my laptop . It has a very wide viewing angle despite being a TN display

Details from official HP manual : 

Brightview display (1680x1050) Glossy: yes

it looks like an IPS display quality. But it does have very wide viewing angles ( left and right) and top and bottom . Only the top-bottom viewing angles at the extreme angles seems to fade away the colours but white and blacks seem to be intact.  but that not as bad as other  TN panels . Overall the panel has a strong yellowish cast to it

HP Recommended

replied above

HP Recommended

replied above......................

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.