Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ax080nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Omen 15-ax080n.

If i open games of microsoft store, watch video's on every browser, watch video's on the netflix app for windows and many more things the video stays black, but the rest is still showing like the controll buttons.

On the browser i can turn off the hardware acceleration and it's gone, but it is not helpfull if i run heavier things.

Its very annoying and i hope that there is a way to fix this.

Greetings,

Niels van Hecke

*from the Netherlands

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@NvH

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you are getting a black screen due to the hardware acceleration,

Here's what you could do to understand the concept and find a solution:

In simple terms, the term Hardware Acceleration means using computer’s hardware for performing a certain task and function faster than would be possible using a software. This also allows for smooth rendering of graphics. In most processors instructions are executed sequentially i.e. one by one but you can perform them faster if you modify the same process a bit using some technique. The idea is to move all graphics and text rendering from the Central Processing Unit to the Graphics Processing Unit. The idea is to speed up graphic performance and the rendering by moving it from the CPU to the GPU, thereby getting better performance.

For more details on how to use: Click here (the same link works for windows 7, 8, 8.1 & 10).

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that i may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't know if the problem is specific the hardware acceleration.

I followed the link that you send me but i don't have the option to disable the hardware acceleration.

On my HP EliteBook 8540w (with windows 10 and debian dualboot) and other computers/laptops i don't have this problem with the black screen.

I work as an application developer (in training) and sometimes i  must build web pages or applications where it's handy to have hardware acceleration for better performance.

I have paid a lot (around €900,- ) for this laptop to work with higher performance (graphical and cpu) than my EliteBook and that i can use it if needed, but not for a machine that doesn't work with or need to disable things it supposed to work with. Otherwise i didn't buy this laptop.

HP Recommended

@NvH

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

I understand you don't want to disable the hardware acceleration, however, though you disable it the passive interface would still run in the background supporting the software acceleration that should kick in as soon as you disable it.

My suggestion was to resolve this issue with the black screen,
If you don't want to disable it, try experimenting by reducing the acceleration by one notch and checking the results.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After a lot of attempts to fix this problem i came to the conclusion it is not possible to disable hardware acceleration in windows 10 or the drivers and it is (almost) impossible to fix this problem.

If I watch a video (in the browser) then the screen starts artifacting and it starts to irritate me a lot.

Several things that i found out is:

1. that this problem only occurs when i have a external monitor attached to the laptop.
  2. that this is a symptom of wrong using of the GPU's, like witching between the GPU (Nvidia GTX 960m) and the Integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 530) and just not using the Nvidia GTX 960m.
  3. The HDMI port (for the external screen) is run by the Nvidia GTX 960m and some software like chrome and the apps seem/are not using the GPU but the Integrated graphics and it looks like that is giving the problems.

NOTE: The situation in my first post is with the external screen attached. 

Maybe can this help to get/find a better solution, because i can't.

Greetings,

Niels van Hecke

HP Recommended

@NvH

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You haven't mentioned much about the result of the steps I had suggested earlier,

for example, reducing the hardware acceleration if not disabling it to find the solution.

Please let me know if you've done that as it should resolve the issue.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done many reducing and disabling on the softwave (not many though, because the most don't support (like thirth party settings as Nvidia control panel) or having the options to do that) i have this problem with.

As result I get a lot of artifacting (what i said in the previous post), other screen/quality problems or still getting the black screen (because they ignore the settings at all). 

So only bad results so far.

Greetings,

Niels van Hecke

HP Recommended

@NvH

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Perhaps you could start with updating the latest BIOS & chipset drivers, updating the .net framework has helped others, I recommend doing that as well.

If the issue persists, please rollback the graphics card drivers to a previous version to identify the cause of the failure and therefore resolve it.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.