Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi DP-K,

I am able to acess the Power Options menu but there is no option for adjusting plan brightness. I checked all the expanded menu options and can't find any option for brightness settings. Even when I set the power saving mode, the screen is still on full brightness (ac power adn battery power). The only way I can change anything with the brightness/contrast/color is through the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. However, modifying the brightness from this option is more like a contrast control.

Rico.

HP Recommended

Ah Ha! The device manager delete method worked. Thanks for your help guys, this was driving me insane.

HP Recommended

You're welcome.. i that problem so long, and gave up on fixing it.. read your thread.. and seem fixing it would help someone else.. 😃 trial and error. Glad to help

HP Recommended

Ahh I'm having this problem too and it seems this method works but I'm not at all computer savvy.  Could you go a little more in detail?  I got to device manager but I don't know which is the graphics driver

I'd appreciate your help immensely!

HP Recommended
@alliecatttt go device manager. See the tab that says display adapters and expand to see all adaptes. There should be just one. If more than one list them and i can tell you which is the adpater you need to uninstall. Anyways right click on the adapter and uninstall. Screen resolution should might change (windows and everything look thicker/bigger). Once done. Restart computer. If on windows 7 once you reboot you should see at thr bottom right of the screen (installing drivers) balloon pop up. You can click on it or wait a few until it finishes installing and then reboot computer and brightness should work.
CONTINUE ONLY IF SCREEN DRIVER DOESNT INSTALL AUTOMATICLY!
If you dont see it after a minute or so go back to device manager, click on a blank space or highlight the very first tab (should be name of your computer). Click on action at the top of the window and click scan for hardware changes. Check if something new is found under display adapters and if so. Right click an update driver, then reboot after its done.
HP Recommended

Uninstalling the graphics driver, restarting and letting windows find and reinstall the driver worked! Can't believe I've been messing with this thing for a week and it was this easy. Thanks so much! 🙂

HP Recommended
No prob. It will probably happen again. (happens quite often on some models) glad i could help
HP Recommended

Oh, well. If it happens again, I'll do "The Fix" again. At least I know what to do and it only takes a couple of minutes. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended
No prob. Be sure to hit the "kudos" button. Thanks
HP Recommended

I recently started having the same problem. Unfortunately, the "fix" did not work for me. I do get the brightness icon on the screen when I press the F2 and F3 buttons. However, the status bar does not change.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.