Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 15-n226tu
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I had an issue with hard disk, so i have replaced new one. Now i have installed windows 8.1. The main problem is when i use windows+c, i am getting options on my right side and after that when i select settings, at the bottom right i am facing unavailability of brightness and keyboard selection options. Even my f2 & f3 keys are not functioning. This issue is creating a great damage to my eyes. I have already browsed and tried all the methods present, even on youtube also. Updating driver method didn't show any progress. So please help out from this issue with a new better solution. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ravi_9595

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the Fn keys to increase or decrease the brightness isn't working and you need a way to fix this issue,

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue,

And here's the step by step guide for you:

Click the Start button, then click Run . 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by clicking here

For windows 10 drivers: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Ravi_9595

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the Fn keys to increase or decrease the brightness isn't working and you need a way to fix this issue,

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue,

And here's the step by step guide for you:

Click the Start button, then click Run . 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by clicking here

For windows 10 drivers: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Riddle_Decipher, you gave a great solution. I have followed your instructions and found startup items missing hkserv check box. As you instructed I have click the link you have mentioned in order to install that but I have found it was expired. I will be thankful if you resend the link. Thank you so much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.