Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7-7338ea Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I am having isssues in changing the brightness level for my laptop. 

Brightness option is greyed out from the system try battery icon. 

Brightness is always staying at 100%

f2 and f3 short keys do not work, tried it with fn+f2 and fn+f3 and that does not work

Tried re-installing and updating the intel hd 4000 graphic driver and that has not helped

Please help as i have tried several options and no joy 

Thanks 

Mo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Issue is fixed

I contacted microsoft support. And when they looked into my system, the monitor was set to use PNP Monitor. Which is possibly manufacturer specific. 

And then we changed it to use Generic PNP which is i believe is Microsoft provided and that resolved the issue 

And now i can change the brightness levels etc. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it also comes with the nvidia HD graphics adapter.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-dv7-7300-Notebook-PC-series/5330546/model/5378657/docume...

You probably need to install the driver for that adapter as well...

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/111030/en-us

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I have the drivers loaded for that as well

Originally drivers were NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M Driver version 21.21.13.7319 Driver Date 20/10/2016

And then i used the link that you provided and now i can see that the version of adapter is:

NVDIA GeForce GT635M, Driver version 21.21.13.7595 Driver Date: 16/11/2016

And it still does not help, after install i restarted my laptop and checked i am unable to dim. 

One thing i noticed that at startup when i click the battery icon which has the brightness option, that comes up enabled but as soon as the startup is complete, it greys out. looks like something in OS is disablilng it after startup. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why you can't adjust the brightness if both the Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers are installed and report working properly.

Did you install the Intel chipset driver too?  If not, maybe that will help.  The 2nd driver down on the left is the auto install file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?pr...

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I tried the intel chipset drivers before starting the post, though i tried again after your post as well 

And still no joy 

HP Recommended

Issue is fixed

I contacted microsoft support. And when they looked into my system, the monitor was set to use PNP Monitor. Which is possibly manufacturer specific. 

And then we changed it to use Generic PNP which is i believe is Microsoft provided and that resolved the issue 

And now i can change the brightness levels etc. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.