Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Yup, I am using Win7 (x64). Is there any order I should be plugging them in? I tried again after getting you message and the DVI loss its signal.

Thanks!

HP Recommended
Well, I always had two displays - (1) on DP through dock as main and (2) on DVI as extended through dock. Got my 3rd monitor today and had same issues as you initially. Finally found that plugging my third monitor in the laptop via DP extended to all three.

What graphics drivers are you using? I have (I think) Intel 4000 installed.
HP Recommended

Ok, gonna try again. I have the AMD variant for the GPU though. At the moment, I am using a USB display adapter for the 3rd monitor but it is kinda sluggish.

Thanks very much!

HP Recommended
Let me know, I wonder if it still has the Intel integrated graphics on-board (probably not) but may be worth a shot - though a long one..
HP Recommended

No dice. Prolly because of the GPU. When I have a display plugged in the laptop's DP port, either the DP or DVI port of the dock losses signal.

HP Recommended
Really odd, considering the discrete GPU should be (traditionally) better than the integrated cards.

I would ensure your graphics drivers are up-to-date, and finally look for support through AMD in regard to the specific GPU if still no luck.
HP Recommended

Thanks man! I already updated to the latest driver. Will look into AMD and find out.

HP Recommended

I currently use 3 monitors for my HP Elitebook 8470P.  The trick is to have a Display Port to DVI Single-Link ACTIVE adaptor for your DVI monitor. This allows you to make use of both DPI ports on your docking staton.  The 3rd  monitor should be connected through the VGA port.   A passive adaptor such as the one RocketFish sells WILL NOT WORK!!!  I've had this set up for over 2 years and it works great!  No need to buy an expensive Maxtor adaptor.  I use a $44 ACCELL UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Single Link Active Adapter.  The great thing about this manufacturer is that they provide a 2 year warranty!  Please let me know if this information has helped.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Since I am replying here, you can imagine I still have not got this to work. I am using a USB display adapter for the 3rd monitor. You mentioned the 3rd screen should be connected to the VGA port. Is the DVI port not possible to use? I hate using the VGA port because I don't get the same color with the DVI. I will look for active adapters and try them out.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am not certain about using USB as a 3rd monitor, but hey...give it a try!  I do understand what you mean by the color variance.  It's only slightly off for me though.  My current configuration is Monitor -1- straight DPI, Monitor-2-DVI to DPI Active Adaptor and Monitor -3- VGA.  Good luck and please let me know if USB works as the 3rd monitor :-)!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.