Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I've recently purchased an Envy17 with an AMD 7850M gpu which I would like to configure as the only GPU the system uses or the default option for newly running applications. Battery life is not any concern, I simply want to always use the 7850M instead of the integrated Intel GPU. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please see the document on the following link - for your notebook, you are probably looking for the option under the sub-heading 'Change the switchable graphics settings in Fixed Mode' which is at the end of the page.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

I have actually seen this document and it is, unfortunately, of no help. Catalyst Control Center (CCC) allows you the ability to set the switchable graphics mode per application, not globally. The first time a new application runs, it defaults to power saving mode, the Intel GPU. This is not the desired behavior. I don't ever want the Intel GPU to be used for anything at all.

I will describe my scenario in greater detail.

I am a software developer who works on graphics based products. Whenever I run/debug a newly compiled application, the CCC recognizes the application as a new application. As a result, it runs the app with a default profile of 'Power Saving,' which actually enables the Intel GPU. Once the newly compiled app is up and running, I can set the app's profile within the CCC to High Performance. This is the setting I want to be 'default.' By default I mean that I don't want to have to go set it everytime I recompile to ensure that the application will not run poorly or crash due to the poor OpenGL support on the Intel GPU.

Ideally I would be able to disable the Intel GPU completely and never have to worry about it again. I tried disabling it in the Device Manager, but this didn't work. I also looked into the BIOS update offered at this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02948560

But when I run the update tool I get a message box which explains that my BIOS is newer, although when entering the BIOS I am told that the version is f.05 and it lacks a toggle for dynamic/fixed graphics modes.

So, as a recap, I need either the ability to completely disable the Intel GPU or the ability to make it so that the CCC defaults to 'High Performance' the first time it chooses a profile for a previously unregistered application.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, the option to disable the Intel chip in the Bios ( which I think is what you require ) is not currently available on any of the Envy 17 series.  I don't work for HP, so I can't say whether an updated bios allowing this will be forthcoming, but it is an option a lot of people request.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Return your notebook for the Envy 17-32xx 3D CTO / 17-3290NR 3D unit.

The Envy 17-32xx 3D unit ONLY has the AMD GPU working, the Intel HD 4000, does not work as advertised.

As a result of the Intel HD 4000 not working, the WiDi (wireless display) does not work, it relys in the Intel HD 4000 to function corectly.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/671597-hp-envy-17-3d-ivy-bridge-switchable-graphics-prob...

HP Recommended

Unfortunately,

Returning these isn't really an option as we've already spent considerable time getting them up and running for our current project. But thanks for the input. :generic: 

I think I might be stuck waiting for a BIOS update for this model which exposes a dynamic/fixed mode toggle.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,
Please write your notebook product number (p/n) and country of purchase.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Sure,

p/n: A9P84UA#ABA

Country of Purchase: USA

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Please check the whole post before you will do anything or want to reply. If the procedure to make the AMD GPU default can not be done because you do not have this settings then let me know about it before you will do anything.

If you want to install the current driver package provided by AMD, download and install it on top of the HP release. This is done so that the switchable graphics feature can continue to operate properly.

Warning!

Use the reference drivers at your own risk! Although they are provided by AMD, they are not guaranteed to operate normally under all circumstances.

If you agree with the above statemnet do the below procedure to get the best performance.

A.

Update the Bios.

How to update the Bios?

Download the latest Bios update from here.

Plug the AC adapter to the netbook. 

Disconnect from the Internet. Close all currently running programs. Disable anti-virus and firewall.

Double-click the Bios update exe file. It may take some time, so it is important to remain patient, do not interrupt the process. Allow the notebook to restart after applying the updated BIOS.

While this update is running:

• do not switch off your laptop, 
  • do not unplug the AC adapter,
  • do not try to run any software or do anything on it.

Note:

The Bios update process is always risky. You will do this at your own risk.

B.

Dowload and install the latest Intel chipset driver from here.

Restart the system.

C.

Update the graphics driver.

Uninstall the ATI/AMD graphic driver first. Check the link below:

How to uninstall ATI / AMD graphic card drivers from a Microsoft Windows 7.

Download and install the latest HP driver for swichable graphic from here.

Restart the system.

To stop the need to switch the Intel and AMD GPU do the below procedure
Right click the desktop and choose ' Configure graphic ' (or something similar).

The below screen will show up.

Uncheck ' Automatically select power-saving GPU when on battery '.

Capture.png

Choose ' Apply ' and click ' High- performance GPU '.

Capture_2.png

From that moment ' High- performance GPU ' will be set as default and to switch to the Intel GPU you will have to do it manually. If you will not do this then the AMD GPU will be active all the time.

Capture_3.png

Resource:
How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows ope...

Download and install the latest AMD driver for graphics from here if you use 32 bit system.

Download and install the latest AMD driver for graphics from here if you use 64 bit system.

Restart the system and check the result.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Wow,

Thanks for the step by step. I'll go through this as soon as I have a moment and let you know how it works out.

Many thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.