Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au100nh
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hey everyone!

I got my new notebook and installed a windows 8.1 on it and now i cant use the dedicated card only the intel graphics one.

Its definetly in BIOS settings but i cant unlock the advanced option in this beauty...... so i could use some help 🙂     (insydeh20 F.25 ) (...and yes i tried setting it in nvidia control panel but no banana) Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @NikonX, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have graphics issues with your laptop.

Don't I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

NVIDIA Optimus graphics is a technology designed by NVIDIA to optimize battery power while providing an enhanced multimedia experience. With Optimus, you do not need to switch graphics types manually as with switchable graphics technology. Using only Intel integrated graphics maximizes battery efficiency but may not offer the best display for gaming, high-definition video or graphic applications. Using a discrete GPU offers improved performance but at the cost of increased power consumption. Optimus technology makes the best use of both types of graphics technologies by quickly and automatically transferring graphics processing power as needed.
Optimus technology can alter how graphics are processed when software is opened and active. For example, if you open a word processing application, only Intel integrated graphics is used to conserve battery power as extra graphics processing power is not needed. But, if you open a game that is recognized by Optimus, a profile is used to get the best possible graphics experience while still conserving power where possible. You can use the advanced features of NVIDIA Control Panel software to access these profiles and, in many cases, customize the experience for your own purposes.

Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
Right-click the Windows desktop background (not the Start screen) and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
From the left menu, select Manage 3D settings, the Global Settings tab, and then select the Preferred Graphics processor.
Select High-Performance if you want to maximize the visual appearance and speed for all software programs at the cost of using more battery power.
Click Apply and close the Control Panel window when finished.

Refer this document to know more information about configuring discrete graphics.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @NikonX, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have graphics issues with your laptop.

Don't I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

NVIDIA Optimus graphics is a technology designed by NVIDIA to optimize battery power while providing an enhanced multimedia experience. With Optimus, you do not need to switch graphics types manually as with switchable graphics technology. Using only Intel integrated graphics maximizes battery efficiency but may not offer the best display for gaming, high-definition video or graphic applications. Using a discrete GPU offers improved performance but at the cost of increased power consumption. Optimus technology makes the best use of both types of graphics technologies by quickly and automatically transferring graphics processing power as needed.
Optimus technology can alter how graphics are processed when software is opened and active. For example, if you open a word processing application, only Intel integrated graphics is used to conserve battery power as extra graphics processing power is not needed. But, if you open a game that is recognized by Optimus, a profile is used to get the best possible graphics experience while still conserving power where possible. You can use the advanced features of NVIDIA Control Panel software to access these profiles and, in many cases, customize the experience for your own purposes.

Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
Right-click the Windows desktop background (not the Start screen) and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
From the left menu, select Manage 3D settings, the Global Settings tab, and then select the Preferred Graphics processor.
Select High-Performance if you want to maximize the visual appearance and speed for all software programs at the cost of using more battery power.
Click Apply and close the Control Panel window when finished.

Refer this document to know more information about configuring discrete graphics.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello thank you for your answer i appriciate it. However i gave up trying to make it work on 8.1 and accepted my fate with win 10 as the (recommended os) for this laptop. In there i only had to change the nvidia control panel settings. I dont why it wouldnt work on win 8.1 tho. And i still wonder how will i give this laptop more ram since its limited 😞
HP Recommended

@NikonX, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please uninstall the NVIDIA graphics driver from the device manager and install the latest graphics driver.

Go to windows desktop

Hold Windows key + Letter R key.

Run dialog box would open type devmgmt.msc

Device manager window will open.

Expand Display adapters.

Right click on NVIDIA graphics and click uninstall.

Restart your PC. And update the graphics driver.

Link to update NVIDIA graphics driver.

Also, update BIOS on your PC using this link.

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.