Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Take a bow rachel. Worked like a charm. Thanks a tonne. 

To other readers, u need to take care that the DP and HDMI both are 19 port stuff. Else sound wont work.

HP Recommended

Many years later and we are still having problems getting sound through the display port of the HP 2540p.  No wonder HP is going down the drain!    I just updated the Bios and Intel drivers to the very latest versions.  My sound configuration does not even display an HDMI option I can select.  Has anyone solved this issue?   I will NEVER purchase an HP laptop again!

HP Recommended

Happy owner of an 2540p, the solution to have sound through the DisplayPort is:

Connect the DisplayPort to the TV with a displayport->hdmi cable

Go to Control Panel

click on Hardware and Audio,

click on Sound

Right click on your hdmi device (it could give you the model of your device) and set it as your default device

And magically the sound come now from the TV :-)))

Click OK to close the screen

Don't forget to redifine your laptop as your default device otherwise you won't have sound on your laptop after....

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, need to disable both headphone and notebook audio and just allow TV or external audio to be on and default than will have audio. Work for me.

HP Recommended

Display Port with HDMI Adaptor you will not get any sound output..

I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Nav

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****
HP Recommended

I was able to solve this issue by using 2 adapters:

1- DP(male) to DVI(female)

2- DVI(male) to HDMI(female)

This combination seems to cut the ''fake sound'' transmitted by the video card to the TV. Most TV because of this ''fake sound'' believe a sound is already been transmitted via HDMI and  automatically disable the RCA input.

A DP(male) to HDMI(female) didn't work in my case, I believe it's be cause this adapter transmit that fake sound to the HDMI cable.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.