Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I'm trying to update my graphics drivers so that I have drivers supporting OpenGL 3.3 or above. According to some sites I found, my HD 7650M supports OpenGL 4.3. My Intel HD 3000 should also support OpenGL 3.3+. The reason I need this is to play some games from Steam. I tried the newest version of catalyst (15.12) as well as version 13.12 because I saw on some sites that this version supports my graphics card. Unfortunately installing older versions of catalyst results in catalyst not being installed and the install dir being empty, although the install is reported successful.

So basically the newest drivers fail to install due to compability I assume, and older drivers just don't install without any apparent reason. I updated my HD 3000 drivers to the newest version. The AMD AutoDetect tool tells me to install "amd-catalyst-15.7.1-without-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe". I can't find it though and instead I tried "...with-dotnet45...". This fails to install the drivers as well. 

I'm running out of options and since HP should provide some working drivers I'm seeking help here. I'm not planning on upgrading to Windows 8.1 nor 10. 

Kind Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Updating Windows solved the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

I'm not 100% what to go with looking at this site:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/embedded/previous?os=Windows

Either I choose revision 12.10, but it says "Catalyst 13.2" in the description. I think i shoudl go with revision 9.0 01as it says "Catalyst 12.10" in the description, right? Could you help me find out which one I need? From your answer I'd probably go with revision 9.001 which seems to include Catalyst 12.10, so not higher than your suggested version 12.10. I just want to confirm you refer to the Catalyst version and not the revision, as they seem to be two different things.

The drivers from HP are version "8.951.6-120329B-137790C, 9 Mai 2012", so they're pretty close to revision 9.001.

Yesterday my screen was black the entire time when I boot up, so I'm kinda afraid to reinstall the drivers again :x I want to be sure to choose the right drivers this time.

Edit: I downloaded both files and looked into the "\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF" dir where two *.inf files are. Neither one contains my 7650M, so I assume that my card isn't supported by these drivers?

Edit2: Some interesting things to note here:

1. The *.inf file of the HP drivers contain the following lines:

"%AMD6841.6%" = ati2mtag_R476_PXAI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6840&SUBSYS_17F1103C

--> Here the last part, starting from "PCI..." is equivalent to the ID of my graphics card shown in the device manager

2. The line above is interesting because the file further contains this:

AMD6841.6 = "AMD Radeon HD 7650M"

3. Non of the *.inf files of the two versions I downloaded contain any of the information I wrote in 1) and 2).

HP Recommended

Well the problem is that I can't install anything that's not from HP. And HP doesn't offer any working drivers newer than what I've installed now. Any time I try to install drivers from AMD the install is said to be successful, but nothing has been installed. Don't know if this is even fixable 😕

HP Recommended

Updating Windows solved the problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.