Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Laptop Pavilion dv6 and am unable to type the English pound sign. Can someone tell me how to get the 'pound' sign to print please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and sorry there wasn't a better solution.  The only other suggestion I can think of at the moment is if you have Microsoft Word, you can click the 'Insert' tab at the top and you will find the Pound sign in the dropdown menu for Symbols on the far right of the toolbar.

Hope you get it sorted out and best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

If this sign is not native to your keyboard, you can enter it by holding down the alt key and typing 156 ( use the numeric keys to the right of your keyboard ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Many thanks DP-K but on the pavilion keyboard there is no right hand numeral keys and that used to work on my former Microsoft keyboard when the 'pound' sign was not displayed.Have tried the Alt 156 but that doesn't work on my keyboard but thanks for the quick reply..much appreciated... BDA...any other ideas please?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You should find ( although it can be difficult to see ) that there are also numbers on some of the main keyboard buttons - these are often surrounded by a thin square outline towards the top right of the key.  For example on a dv5, M=0, J=1, K=2, L=3, U=4, I=5, O=6 etc.

Try holding down both the alt and fn keys and use these embedded numbers - so for example, on a dv5, this would be J, I, and O.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K,

Sorry no numbers on the keys of HP dv6 but tried the Alt+ fn and 156..didn't work though.....and have tried other combinations suggested in various columns also...to no avail..will try the HP support and see what they have to say...many thanks.... BDA.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

If your keyboard looks like the diagram on Page 11 of the Maintenance & Service Guide, turn on the Number Lock, then hold down the alt key and enter 156 using the buttons shown as Component 5 in the diagram.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K..,

No my keyboard is not like that shown on page 11 of the Maint & Serv Guide ..sadly....have no right side numberpad at all.....

have got around the problem by clicking on the greek symbol sign in Microsoft Word document which has the 'pound' sign there....clicking on copy there......and then paste onto my document in Family Tree Maker program that I'm working with....it seems along way around but will have to do until I get to speak to HP support. Many thanks again DP-K...for all your time and effort...regards BDA

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and sorry there wasn't a better solution.  The only other suggestion I can think of at the moment is if you have Microsoft Word, you can click the 'Insert' tab at the top and you will find the Pound sign in the dropdown menu for Symbols on the far right of the toolbar.

Hope you get it sorted out and best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.