Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to hook up my laptop to my plasma via the HDMI.

Laptop = HP DV6-1362nr

HDTV = Samsung PN58B860

The problem is that when I hook it up, there is about 2-3" of unused screen on the Plasma.

I've tried setting the Plasma as the primary display (this shuts off the laptop screen and enables more resolutions).

The resolution is set at 1920x1080 @ 60 through the laptop settings, and the Plasma confirms this. The computer's desktop doesn't fill the screen.

I've set the plasma to 'just scan' and that doesn't do it.

I've also run the HDMI cable through my HDMI receiver and directly to the Plasma - no difference.

Only things I can think are...is this some kind of HDCP crap? I notice when hooked to the HDTV, the laptop installs a "Generic PnP Monitor" driver...could it be a driver issue? I don't know where you could get computer drivers for HDTVs...

Maybe it's Windows 7 not working with HDCP?

I've tried the stretch/fit settings, but that defeats the purpose as it distorts the picture (the only zoom setting on hdmi is "wide fit").

As for the manual, the only info is that you have to use HDMI 1. The TV also has a VGA input (blue plug). This works perfectly and uses the whole screen. However...it's VGA and has no sound. I would have to run a separate cable out from the headphones for sound.

What's the point of an HDMI out that doesn't fit the whole screen? I can't believe that I'm the first person to come across this issue...

Help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Easy Fix

Go into the ATI Catalyst control center and go into the advance control center. Then click on the graphics tab and go into desktops and displays. Make sure your hdmi cable is plugged in. You should see two pictures on tlhe bottom. One is your laptop display and the other is the TV. Right click with your mouse on the TV icon and click on configure. Then look for the tab that does scaling and click on it. Now you should see a slider move it to 0 and this will fill your tv screen. I had the same issue and this resolved it.

HP Recommended

What if Catalyst Control Center isn't available for your graphics card? I have a ATI 4650 (mobility), and the CCC is not available through HP or ATI. My laptop is a dv6 1253cl.

(I'm having the EXACT same problem as the original poster)

HP Recommended

If you right click on the desk top is Catalyst control center  an option? You should see it as the first option.

HP Recommended

No, it wasn't there... UNTIL, I figured out that I was accidentally downloading the ATI drivers for the non-mobility Radeon 4600 series... I needed to be downloading the Radeon Mobility 4000 series drivers.

I did that, installed, I now have CCC on my laptop. I believe this should allow me to get my image full screen, I'll try it out tonight.

HP Recommended

Crazy! The latest versions of ATI's CCC does not have the scalling option in it!

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=117430&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=...

What version of CCC do you have installed on your laptop? I need to see if I can find an older version to roll back to.

HP Recommended

I am running the ATI drivers that came with my laptop. I have the G61-329ca laptop. I have 8.632 version drivers on it. My video is the ATI 4200.

HP Recommended

Are you Windows 7?

HP Recommended

Yes windows 7 came on it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.