Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Covertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I own a 2 month old HP Pavilion x360 Covertible PC (13-u104na) purchased in November 2016 directly from HP. The laptop is still under active warranty (ends November 2017).

This evening I followed my usual routine after university and went over to my laptop to surf the web . After about half an hour of web surfing, I realised what I initially thought was a hair lingering on the rop right corner of my screen, was in actual fact a crack!

The laptop itself is still in full working order - including the touchscreen feature. Before anyone asks, I have never ever dropped the laptop nor have I abused it in any way, shape or form. Furthermore, no one else in my household has access to this laptop so they could not have done this. What's even more shocking to me is that I don't even use the touchscreen feature! Therefore I cannot comprehend how this could have happened. It must be a product defect.

I am an honest individual and if something was my fault then i'll own up to it and accept the consequences. For example, I currently have a 2015 HP Spectre x360 in for repair at a local repair shop for water damage which was my doing.

I have trawled through forums and have noticed that this is not a unique issue. However, others have said that HP refused to repair this under warranty! Some of the repair charges i've seen in those forums are very very worrying and uneconomical.  I'm stressing atm since it's now outside of business hours and I can't contact anyone at HP. If I am refused a repair under warranty I am going to lose my head.

Has anyone here gone through a similar problem? Do you reckon HP will repair this under warranty? What shall I do?!!

HELP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So for anyone else reading this and victim to the same issue, I've got in touch with HP support and they have quoted £132.00 for repair, home pickup, shipping and a 90 day warranty for the same issue included.

Not at all satisified with the response. They insisted that cracked screens are not covered under normal warranty. I tried to explain to them that it could not have been a customer induced issue and must be a design or quality flaw but they weren't hearing any of it.

Even after explaining to them that there were multiple customers complaining of the same issue on x360 models on online forums I was still told that "because it's not a known fault with this model", I would be charged for repair. I found this to be outrageous. Just because something is not "known fault" does not automatically imply the customer was at fault and should be charged - they haven't even inspected the laptop yet to discover the cause!

Any way:

• I asked if this was a fixed fee or was there a possibility that I could be charged more upon inspection of the damage - I was informed no it was fixed at £132.
  • I asked if this quote would have been the same regardless of my warranty status - I was informed yes.
  • I asked if there were any discounts available to me - was told no, £132 was the lowest price.
  • I was told the entire repair process would take 7 business days from pick up to delivery and that it would be initiated automatically after payment was made via a weblink sent to me.
  • I asked, if I wanted to get the screen repaired locally from a firm other than HP at a lower cost, would that void my warranty - I was informed that as long as no other damage was done to the laptop (Hardware or Software) then no it would not void my warranty.

All in all, though I am extremely disappointed with how HP handled my problem, £132 is at least manageable and better than what I had presumed by reading other people's complaints in forums. However, I don't think I will be going ahead with the repair at this moment in time, given that the laptop still works as normal and that the £132 quote remains fixed for the forseeable future warranty or not.

Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

So for anyone else reading this and victim to the same issue, I've got in touch with HP support and they have quoted £132.00 for repair, home pickup, shipping and a 90 day warranty for the same issue included.

Not at all satisified with the response. They insisted that cracked screens are not covered under normal warranty. I tried to explain to them that it could not have been a customer induced issue and must be a design or quality flaw but they weren't hearing any of it.

Even after explaining to them that there were multiple customers complaining of the same issue on x360 models on online forums I was still told that "because it's not a known fault with this model", I would be charged for repair. I found this to be outrageous. Just because something is not "known fault" does not automatically imply the customer was at fault and should be charged - they haven't even inspected the laptop yet to discover the cause!

Any way:

• I asked if this was a fixed fee or was there a possibility that I could be charged more upon inspection of the damage - I was informed no it was fixed at £132.
  • I asked if this quote would have been the same regardless of my warranty status - I was informed yes.
  • I asked if there were any discounts available to me - was told no, £132 was the lowest price.
  • I was told the entire repair process would take 7 business days from pick up to delivery and that it would be initiated automatically after payment was made via a weblink sent to me.
  • I asked, if I wanted to get the screen repaired locally from a firm other than HP at a lower cost, would that void my warranty - I was informed that as long as no other damage was done to the laptop (Hardware or Software) then no it would not void my warranty.

All in all, though I am extremely disappointed with how HP handled my problem, £132 is at least manageable and better than what I had presumed by reading other people's complaints in forums. However, I don't think I will be going ahead with the repair at this moment in time, given that the laptop still works as normal and that the £132 quote remains fixed for the forseeable future warranty or not.

Hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended

Hi @DoubleRM,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.