Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (164 Views)

HP Envy 360 keyboard cuts out when screen top fully opened

Product Name: HP Envy 360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Want to use computer in laptop mode (not tablet mode) with the screen rotated 360 degrees all the way open (to the tablet position, I guess) and with a monitor connected via HDMI.  With the computer/screen in that position, I want to use the regular on-board keyboard; sometimes it will work and sometimes it is disabled.  Some toggle I'm missing?

I set the computer to ask before enabling tablet mode when I swing the screen around; I tell it no, but it still randomly disables my keyboard.

Feels like there's a simple solution to the randomness somewhere, since I know it IS possible for the keyboard to work with the screen fully rotated.

Doug D

Top Student
Message 2 of 7 (142 Views)

Re: HP Envy 360 keyboard cuts out when screen top fully opened

HP Support Agent
Message 3 of 7 (116 Views)

@DougDD

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Smiley Happy I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Envy x360 laptop and when you move rotate the screen to 360 degrees to the tablet position, and with a monitor connected via HDMI, the regular onboard keyboard doesn't work. I read that sometimes the keyboard does work. You have set the laptop to ask before enabling the tablet mode and you select no when you receive the prompt to enable tablet mode. I appreciate the steps you have performed and thanks for describing the issue in detail. 

I did some research and found that usually the laptops for whom we can rotate the display 360 degrees, are designed in such a way that the keyboard and touchpad are not supposed to work when it in position in tablet mode. 

However, if you would like me to investigate this further then please let me know the exact product model no of your HP Envy x360 laptop. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Hope this information helps. Please feel free to reply. Cheers! Smiley Happy

Kazi
I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the same solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Message 4 of 7 (52 Views)

Kazi -- thanks a lot for offering to help.  My machine is a HP ENVY x360 - m6-w103dx (ENERGY STAR), serial number is 8CG5430GMS.

Will your response auto-generate an email to me?  Or do I need to keep checking back to this forum?

Thanks again,

Doug

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 7 (46 Views)

@DougDD

You're welcome Doug. Smiley Happy

You should receive an email notification when a reply is posted to you on HP Forums if you have subscribed for it. I do see that you have posted your query in multiple posts for the same original reason. But as per the design, it is supposed to work in tablet mode if the screen is at 360 degrees. Please refer to page no. 8 of the user guide for your laptop.

Let me know if you need any further help. Take care! 

Kazi
I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the same solution.
Top Student
Message 6 of 7 (29 Views)

Thanks, Kazi.  I know that's what it's designed to do.  But on a seemingly random basis, it sometimes goes to tablet mode during the flip and sometimes not (which is what I want).  No way to reduce the randomness? 

Here's reason why I keep wondering if there is a way to reduce the randomness:  If it was designed to always go to tablet whenever it's flipped 360 and there is no other option, then WHY would it even ASK if I want to go to tablet mode (which it usual does, when I flip)? -- wouldn't it just go to tablet mode without asking?  

And then when I tell it "no, don't go to tablet mode," why does it always ignore my answer?

All that seems to suggest that SOME way to avoid tablet mode is built into the machine...it's just not in the user guide!

Doug

HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 7 (14 Views)

@DougDD

It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service,

It looks like the concern you have is related to the design and I'm afraid this device is designed to turn off the keyboard when the LCD panel is flipped,

Basically making your computer a tablet, that said, you would still have access to the on-screen keyboard and that's way better than the physical keyboard, personally.

the fact that it doesn't happen all the time may require a fix via a BIOS update and I recommend you: Click here to download the latest version.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation