Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (261 Views)

HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 14, Windows 10, touchscreen not functioning, due to air bubbles in screen?

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 14
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

*UPDATE added to end of post!

Product Name - HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 14

Product Number - E0X70UA#ABA
Operating System - Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1607, OS Build, 14393.321

Problem - Touchscreen worked fine for years, but now no longer responds to touch and has what appear to be two pencil-eraser-sized air bubbles in it.

When I touch the screen, nothing happens. It no longer displays a round circular print when you hold a finger to the screen, although I have the box checked for the setting to display visual feedback when touching screen. Tapping, swiping, pinching, etc. also have no effect.

At the same time as the touchscreen stopped working, I noticed two blotches under the surface of the screen. They are irregular ovoid shapes, which when viewed from the side appear to have dimension, as if they are air bubbles inside the layer of the screen above the images on the screen. They are each about the size of a pencil eraser, and are transparent; images and colors on the screen show through them, but are slightly darker under them. In the few days since I have noticed them, they have not moved or changed size or shape. Touching or swiping on them has no effect.

'Print Screen' will not capture the blotches. I took an embarrassing amount of time to recreate the approximate appearance of them using 'Paint' program, and I will attempt to insert the picture below.

All other aspects of pc are functioning, including keyboard inputting, and selecting or dragging using the touchpad and its two buttons.

No error messages display.

Standard automatic updates done.

Screen is clean. Screen has only ever been cleaned with specially designed 'Electronics Wipes' which say 'SAFE ON SCREENS!' on package.

Screen has not been scratched, dropped, heated, cooled, exposed to liquid or mistreated in any way.

PC was sitting on hard, flat table when touchscreen stopped responding while I was using browser with my usual tabs open.

I wasn't doing any updating or downloading when the touchscreen stopped working; I was just reading a tab in the browser with my eyeballs and noticed I could no longer scroll up or down the page using the touchscreen.

Tried using HP Support Assistant to diagnose the problem causing the unresponsive touchscreen. None of its suggestions were useful.

I have NOT reset pc to factory settings or gone back to a previous restore point or changed the BIOS because I believe this is a hardware issue related to the blotches in the screen.

More information about what I've looked at and tried:

Device Manager > HID-compliant touch screen > General tab - shows ''Device status, This device is working properly.''

Device Manager > HID-compliant touch screen > Events tab - shows last event was ''9/25/2016 2:06:28 PM - Device configured (input.inf)''

Device Manager > HID-compliant touch screen > Driver tab - Driver Details says, ''No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.''

Device Manager > HID-compliant touch screen > Driver tab - Update Driver says, ''The best driver software for your device is already installed.''

Updating/Uninstalling/Reinstalling drivers has had no effect.

Removed A/C power and battery from unit, held down power button for a minute to drain all power, reinstalled battery and A/C power and restarted. No effect.

When I tried running HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI program on the touchscreen, it did not display a 'Touchscreen' button under the component options for me to select, though HP's postings show a 'Touchscreen' button on their diagnostic screen shots. I ran diagnostics on other components and they found no errors.

To me, the fact that I get no 'Touchscreen' button diagnostic option implies that this pc's touchscreen is no longer recognized as existing.

However, the pc itself still KNOWS it has a touchscreen and will allow me to adjust settings for it. For example:
When I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen and Touch, select 'Double-Tap' and click on its 'Settings...' button, a window pops up with a 'Test settings' option, showing a picture of a closed door. One is meant to double-tap the door image, at which point the image changes from a closed door to an open door. Tapping the image using the SCREEN has no effect for me now, but tapping the image using the TOUCHPAD surface or touchpad button 'opens' and 'closes' the door.

Similarly, when I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Tablet PC Settings, with '1. Mobile PC Display' selected, I can still access the touchscreen 'Setup...' configuration, and, display options 'Calibrate...' windows, but I am unable to USE them because touching the screen has no effect.

Below is a picture I created (using 'Paint') about this issue:

Possible Air Bubbles In Screen.png

*UPDATE:

10-17-16  -  This morning I noticed the blotches have CHANGED.  The lower blotch now appears taller and narrower and is now only about a milimeter below the upper blotch.  I wonder if they will meet and join.

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (212 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 14, Windows 10, touchscreen not functioning, due to air bubbles in s...

@Redbolter
Welcome to the HP Forums Smiley Happy

A superb job has been done by doing such exhaustive copious troubleshooting.
I am truly amazed by your superlative troubleshooting skills.
Kudos to you on that, It is always a privilege to work with technically competent minds. 

As I understand there are blotches appearing on the screen, 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Please try an alternate monitor to understand if this is either a hardware or a software failure,
if the lines do not appear on the alternate monitor, replace the display assembly on your computer,
if there are lines on the alternate monitor/TV as well, re-install the graphics card drivers & update it from the official HP Website: Click here

If you don’t have an alternate monitor, I recommend checking if the lines appear on the BIOS screen (restart the computer and tap on F10 to access BIOS)

This would confirm if it's either a hardware failure or an issue with the graphics card drivers so we may reinstall and update the drivers to fix the issue as mentioned above.

If the issue persists on BIOS as well, please try with a TV to identify if it's the LCD or the motherboard/video card failure,

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, liquid spilled on it, etc.) there could be a hardware failure and in such cases, you may need to get the computer repaired via HP (there could be a charge involved if the PC isn't covered by the accidental damage protection plan)

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the same solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (79 Views)

3-1-17: Touchscreen WORKING again! I don't know why, I didn't try any further fixes...

[ Edited ]

Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Redbolter
Welcome to the HP Forums Smiley Happy

A superb job has been done by doing such exhaustive copious troubleshooting.
I am truly amazed by your superlative troubleshooting skills.
Kudos to you on that, It is always a privilege to work with technically competent minds. 

Thank you so much for your kind words!  

After I noticed the 'blotches' on my screen had MOVED, and confirmed that they could still be seen using the right light even when the unit is off, I decided to chalk this up to a hardware problem and gave up on using the touchscreen without spending any more time trying fixes.  

The blotches , of which there are now three, are definitely inside the layers of the screen.  They don't obstruct the screen because they are transparent, and I stopped keeping track of them due to lack of interest.  (Their movement has to be measued by the weeks--one can't notice the change on a daily basis.)

I had just been using this as a desktop computer, when I wanted to type on a full-size keyboard.  I bought a new little touchscreen device for portable gaming last black friday.  After using that device all night, I switched back to this computer, and accidentally poked the screen.  AND IT RESPONDED.  

I had just run Windows Defender for the first time in days to download update, but I can't imagine that was responsible.  Haven't even done a restart in AGES! (Like WEEKS!) Touchscreen is actually dusty, because I hadn't been touching it, so I didn't notice it needed cleaning!  But now it's suddlenly working just like before!  The blotches are still there, so I guess that WASN'T the problem.   I am totally mystified.  But happy!  Any ideas why it's working again?  

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (53 Views)

3-5-17: Touchscreen again unresponsive.

The touchscreen has stopped working again.  Haven't done any updates or made any changes.

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (15 Views)

Re: 3-5-17: Touchscreen again unresponsive.

3-20-17: Touchscreen again fully functional.  It must like the warmer weather.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation