Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavillon dv7 screen black when i started.. How to fix this issue? please let me know if someone know how to fix it.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Tried all suggestions, with no luck, in this forum for black screen on HP dv7 for relative.

Last ditch effort worked however.

Removed only 1 of 2 memory sticks and boots up now!!

Suggest when troubleshooting, to remove everything as suggested (battery, all memory, cmos battery, dvd drive), and pull plug.

Next, try just install cmos battery and 1 memory stick.  Then plug in power.  If still dead, try removing the 1 memory stick, and insert the other.

I verified the 1 memory stick was bad, by powering down, and inserting it, and right back to HP-black-screen-of-death.

Removed bad memory stick, and boots again fine.

HP Recommended

Correction/Update.  The root cause was NOT a bad memory stick.  The root cause was a bad memory slot!!

Either of the 2 (4GB each) memory sticks work in the bottom slot.  But, if both the bottom and top slot are occupied (order does not matter), the screen is black.

So, to recap, the TOP SLOT for memory evidently is now BAD.

Otherwise, everything is fine, albeit with only 1/2 the memory installed going forward.

And have  spare/good memory stick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.