Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Please post solution publically. i am having the same intermittent ghost tapping issues.

It seems to go away after reboot only to recur after 30 minutes.

Also, seems the Synaptic ClickPad driver is buggy amd crashes, frequently.

Thank

HP Recommended

I am seeing this issue as well.  This has been happening since Day One and it is not predictable as to when it will start acting up.  I love this computer, but I hate this issue.  My only work around is to close the lid -- let it go to sleep -- then wake it up.

The downside, is that the phantom taps can occur anywhere on the screen and it could phantom tap on something that would be bad to tap (such as Send on an unfinished email to the boss).

While I could send my computer in for repair, I would hate to go that route if I am just going to get it back and have the same issue occur.  Since the behavior is unpredictable, how would a technician know what to fix?  Replacing faulty hardware with a new part that is the same faulty hardware would have the same faulty result with no reliable way for the technician to verify that the situation has improved.

I suspect that the engineers know what the problem is and realize that there is no cheap way to fix it.

HP Recommended

In addition to all of the tips that have been listed, you may also want to upgrade to the Microsoft Windows insiders program.

It seems all of the other glitches and odd windows behavior disappeared after the upgrade to the WIndows insiders Program.

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Same here! We are struggling with a whole batch of spectres X360 that appear to have the same problem.

I work in a school and we rolled out spectres for the first time this year. Right now the failure rate is around 10 % mainly due to the ghost touch issue. For most of the laptops the ghost touch occurs in the lower left part of the screen near the hinge. The interesting part here is that we also had 3 spectre where the screen cracked and the crack originated near the hinge. In 2 of the cases the laptops belonged to teachers who reported the same facts. They closed the lid the day before and the next day when they opened the lid there was a crack that originated near the hinge. One of the laptops was sitting on a desk! People are reporting the cracked screen issue in other forums.

The worst case we had is with one of our teachers who had the ghost touch problem on 3 different laptops that we prepared for her. When I prepared the 3rd laptop I made sure it was from a different batch, yet the ghost touch thingy happened again which is really frustrating. In her case the laptop was permanently connected to an interactive whiteboard. The latter could be triggering the problem, but we have never had issues with other laptop models on that particular whiteboard.

We did get the screens replaced on most of the spectres with the ghost touch problem yet it’s still happening. Until now we do not know what the root problem of this very annoying issue is. However what we do know is that in one particular case the failure rate is 100%!! What it means is that this issue may affect all our spectres sooner or later. We didn’t yet get a satisfactory explanation from our HP reps in our area about this spectre X360 debacle and one may think that HP themselves don’t know what is going on with their products. It is even more worrying when we get to know that this already happened on the G1 and the G2 models of the spectre.

HP Recommended

@CKLSUPPORT

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the suggestion, but I am not going to run the Insider Program builds on a machine I depend on daily.  It is encouraging that it may be a software/driver issue fixed with an upcoming Windows 10 update.

Can anyone from HP confirm that Microsoft has identified this to be a driver issue and that an HP approved fix is coming with an upcoming Windows 10 update?

HP Recommended

I used the HP chat support yesterday to address the ghost tapping issue on one of our laptops and the following drivers were remotely updated:

Integrated sensor solution driver

Intel management engine interface

Chipset

Intel high definition graphic driver

Bios

After reboot, I did a screen calibration.

I’ve put back the laptop in the classroom today and 2 hours later we were called and the ghost tapping started again. The cursor was blocked in upper right part of the screen and there were 4 circles on the right edge of the screen!!

On the other hand, we are also experiencing problems with touchpad and Wi-Fi connectivity on the Spectres. Most of the time a reboot will fix the problem yet it's very frustrating...

HP Recommended

Since we aren’t getting the appropriate feedback from HP on what may be causing the ghost touch problem, here are our stats regarding the Spectre X360 that we distributed this year to staff and students:

We are a medium size school

Total failure rate to date: 14% (1 out of 7 laptops had a warranty issue)

Screen failures: 8.8%

Mainboard failures: 3%

Other failures: 2.2%

Number of days since the first use: 62 days

The same issues have been reported since 2015 on other Spectre models. I would personally not recommend anyone to buy this laptop or any other platform (having the same design) until HP formally admits the faults reported in numerous HP forums and guarantees that all those issues have been fixed! This is simply unacceptable!

We are still struggling with our reps to get an answer to all those problems. Yet till now it’s dead silence!! I have the impression that HP are aware of the problem and they prefer to deal with it on a case by case basis.

HP Recommended

@CKLSUPPORT

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

I just received my HP Spectre x360 15-bl000 and out of the box the touch screen is acting like it is being rapidly pressed on the very top and right of center, always in the same spot!  This makes it impossible to do anything on the computer because the mouse pointer keeps going to this spot and program windows keep closing immediately after opening beause of this.  Telephone support was of no help and suggested it was a hardware issue.  I have been a DELL and Lenovo user for years and this is my first HP computer.  This is not a good first impression.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.