Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thanks for the info. It helped even when an hour on hp tech support didn't!
HP Recommended

(I have the HP DV6 Laptop)

I had the same problem with my display contrasts.  I couldn't see any field box parameters (where to type, etc).  The wizard on the graphics card had a contrast setting feature, but there was no way to change the contrast because the software didn't supply a slider or button and there isn't a key on the keyboard to set contrasts, only "brightness".  

I went on the HP Support Website and downloaded the HP ON-SCREEN DISPLAY UTILITY and this did the trick beautifully!  You get a pop-up utility that provides sliders for all the following: Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Hue, and Saturation.  My display is so much easier to read now!  Perfect fix to a very frustrating problem.  Thanks, HP!

HP Recommended

@reynona: Thanks for providing that. I installed the HP ON-SCREEN DISPLAY UTILITY sp51701.exe from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-90653-1

However, it appeard to do nothing on my laptop, when the installed application was executed.

Maybe it isn't able to work for  the ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 GPUs like on my HP ENVY 14, however the installation details said it had no hardware requirement.

Thought I'd better leave this note for posterity.

HP Recommended
-> Reynona thanks for your answer I'm sure it will help some people.
-> IainB as this thread isn't very long yet, I suggest you read all the entries if you haven't done so already. There are a couple of useful posts there (not due to me !)

Woodwood
3.December.2013
HP Recommended

@: -> IainB as this thread isn't very long yet, I suggest you read all the entries if you haven't done so already. There are a couple of useful posts there (not due to me !)

Hahaha, very droll, thankyou, yes. With respect, I would point out that if YOU read all the entries, you might notice that some of them (including some of the earlier ones) are from me - left for posterity - and I would hope that they are quite useful too.   :generic:

The issue of glary/contrasty screens on HP laptops apparently does not go away of itself, but some enterprising users find new/useful approaches to addressing the issue and share those approaches with other users in this forum discussion thread.

So maybe your post wasn't all that useful?   :Surprise:

HP Recommended

->IainB

I have read every post in this thread, though I have not looked through this thread recently.  I merely meant to suggest that on the off chance you had not looked through the past entries, that it was worth a shot, but you have clearly done this.  No criticism of yourself was meant, nor implied. Your previous posts do look useful for those who have AMD/Radeon graphics. That you had looked through the entries shows my previous post was not useful. Indeed, I learned myself from '794' in this thread about the intel graphics control software that enabled me to see my screen better. 

Woodwood

3.December.2013

HP Recommended

@Woodwood : Yes, there seems to be a big difference between the AMD/Radeon and the Intel graphics cards and control software. Not the same things at all,

On the AMD/Radeon front, I documented most of what I discovered here (including workarounds and fixes):

Problems with AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series GPU driver/software

On a separate point - the ergonomics of backlight intensity - I would recommend that users of both the AMD/Radeon and the Intel graphics cards might be able to gain some advantage from adding f.lux -  http://justgetflux.com/

It is also discussed here: Re: Suggestions for low vision problems while working on a computer

I now use f.lux all the time. It reduces screen glare. Theoretically, it should help you to mantain correct circadian rhythms. It helps my eyes a lot and my erratic sleep patterns have improved.

HP Recommended

My disatisfaction was poor contrast...e.g., no sharp. Found that running with power adaptor increased my contrast by perhaps 30%!!!

HP Recommended

-> cosmsted

I thought that when I changed from running from battery to mains it was the brightness that changed (increased) though I couldn't even estimate by how much  This may increase the contast (as the 'black' level is possibly the still the same)

Woodwood

24.August.2014

HP Recommended
can someone tell me that how i get old display setting?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.