Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am a big fan of HP and have owned 3 laptops so far. Unfortunately Pavilion dv4t 1500 i owned for last 3 years broke/loosened its hinges. My display screen is very loose and the display flickers. Is there any manual for dv4t 1500 for display change where i can dissamble my notebook and tighten the hinges? Any other suggestion

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

At this point it seems like the video cable has developed a break in it _ I suspect it was sent over the edge from the repair. It was probably marginal from being stretched with your hinge problem to begin with.

For now you can perform a hard reset _ unplug adapter and everything _ remove the battery.

Hold down the power button for 1 full minute _ plug only the adapter back in and boot up _ the next time it's shut right down install the battery. (that may fix your new problem, but unlikely)

Another common problem that people face is the cable has not been seated all the way into the mother board and/or not squarely into the plug on the MoBo _ this needs to be checked before assuming the cable is broken.

Also look for bent pins on the MoBo _ test things before fully assembling the machine.

Do you need help finding a new cable (assuming the old one is shot) ?

Good for you on the repair BTW :generic: _ not many people can fix a lptop.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

Here is the link to the HP Media Library, sign in before clicking on the link.

If you need help finding your model or the video, post again. Give the page time to load.

HP Recommended

Thanks. But could not locate my model. I have Pavilion dv4t 1500. The closest i found in list are dv4 1000/2000.

suggeston?

HP Recommended

Yours would fall under the 1000 series, they change between the 1000, 2000 and 3000 series, but if yours is not the same as the 1000 series, let me know and I will tell HP.

dm4.PNG

The videos don't actually come right out and tell you how to remove the hinges, but if you click on how to remove the LCD panel and hinge cover removal, that should provide with enough info as to what's going on.

Here is a screen shot of the hinge cover video. From what I can tell the hinges are just screwed to the bottom of the plastic LCD case. The hinges are screwed into the plastic via these brass fittings that are pressed into the plastic. What happens over time is that the brass inserts can become loose and/or the plastic develops stress fractures in the area causing a loose hinge problem.

It also could be that the hinges themselves are worn out, you'll know ounce you're in there.

Also, the video has you remove the hard drive and optical drive. While this may not be necessary to remove the display panel, it's a precautionary measure to protect these items from static discharge.

dm4 hinge.PNG

Here is your maintenance and service guide too, look on page 17 for more info.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01868623.pdf

HP Recommended

Ok. Thanks alot for information. It seems like none of the videos are playing over in my system. Tried chrome and explorer both. Pdf is a good option but video will be the best thing for me to try specially when i never opened a system. Amaze to see that the video worked for you, let me try a couple more systems.  

HP Recommended

You are among the few where the videos won't play. They play for me with out a problem and the majority .

Try updating Windows Media Player.

I know the video page can take a while to load and some times it will show a small black screen for some time before it will play and then you may have to click the play button again.

It's best to be running IE9, but I would think that IE8 would work.

When you say they are not playing, what exactly is happening ?

I get this black screen for quite some time before I am able to click the "Play" button and make something happen.

Do you at least get this far ?  Here I've clicked in "LCD Panel" in the left column.

Black Screen.PNG

HP Recommended

diplay panel with hinge view

Ok great i dimanteled my system.This is how my display hinges looks like. Now i did not dissamble my lcd but i can see that higes are still not hard fixed to display and are loose. Does it mean

1. hinges are broken or i still need to open the display lcd to see if the whole hinge piece is intact inside?

2. Also you can see that the plastic enclosing is open towards hinge side i hope that the plastic is not broken and if this plastic is the one that holds the whole hinges to make it stable?

Please suggest which is the case?

thanks and i appreciate your help and waiting for your reply.

V

HP Recommended

Have to wait for one of the mods to approve your screen shot.

HP Recommended

The plastic that is open in your photo is just cover and should snap shut. If the hinges are broken or have become dismounted, the movement of them probably made the cover come apart.

Yes, you need to open up the LCD panel case and see what's going on in there. The are metal extensions that protrude from the hinge that are screwed to the sides of the panel, they need to be checked as well.

Also check the bottom case where the hinges mount. Look for cracks in the case and loose brass thread inserts.

There are two plastic covers just at the bottom of the screen on the left and right side that need to be removed to gain access to the bezel screws.

I can't tell from your photo if it's the flush mount type or recessed bezel.

I got confused earlier in the thread, my screen shot is of a dm4 and not a dv4.

At any rate you will have to disassemble the panel to see about the hinges.

HP Recommended

Ok great. I opened display panel and found that the nuts fixed in the plastic body were broken. So these nuts were free and not able to hold the screws and thence hinges anymore. I tried to fix it by gluing them back to blastic body by quick glue and assembled the whole machine. Seems like it is a tempoary fix and might have to buy the plastic body later that holds LCD. Also after assembling, display was not coming so dissambled it back and tightened the LCD VGA cable on the upper left corner of keyboard. Now its working fine. Thanks a lot for the guidance. I appreciate your help and concern.

Kudos!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.