Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n216us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all:

I hope that this is the right board for this problem, even though it may not be primarily a "Touch" issue.  My problem is that I keep losing my pointer/cursor on my HP laptop. Here are my specs and details of the problem based on a set of questions that I found on another thread:

What make / model computer? HP Pavilion 15-n216us

What operating system? Windows 10 64bit upgraded from Win 8.

Does the mouse left alone disappear or are you clicking on something and then it just disappears? It only (and always) happens when I touch the screen. The cursor disappears instantaneously when I touch the screen. It happens whether I have a USB mouse plugged in or not.

How do you normally resolve the issue? Except for restarting the laptop, the only way that I can get the cursor back is to go to Personalize/Themes/Mouse Pointer settings. I then have to close the Mouse Pointer settings windows (clicking OK) while shaking the mouse.

How is your mouse connected to your computer? Wireless but as stated above, it also happens when the mouse is not plugged in.

One screen or two screens? If one, have you ever used two? One screen, never two.

More information:
1) The cursor is not set to disappear when typing.
2) I read that this could be a problem with the Touchpad, so I downloaded the Synaptics Pointing Device driver for my laptop from the HP website. When I attempted to install it, I got a message that I already have a newer driver than the one I downloaded.

3) I have searched online for a solution to my problem for weeks but mainly find information about people totally losing their cursor when upgrading to Win 10.

4) I did have to reset this laptop once but the problem started months after the reset.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Edwin

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@EdwRom

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 15-n216us TouchSmart Notebook and whenever you touch the screen, the mouse pointer disappears. This happens irrespective of whether you use a wireless or a wired mouse. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• After you touch the screen, does the pointer not appear if you move the mouse?

Meanwhile, please try updating the graphic drivers and check if it helps: http://hp.care/2nl6cCp

Let me know the results. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Mouse pointer disappears whenever I touch the screen.  It does not re-appear when I move the mouse, nor the touch pad.  The only way to get it back is to go into mouse settings, pointers, and hit apply or ok.  I'd love for there to be a resolution for this.  

HP Recommended

@cmorden77

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that on your HP laptop the mouse pointer disappears if you use the touchscreen. The only way to get the mouse back is by mouse settings, pointers, and hit apply or OK. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Hve you tried to unHavetall and reinstall the synaptics touchpad drivers?

Meanwhile, you may perform the following steps:

• Please search and open "Mouse and Touchpad settings."
  • In the mouse and touchpad settings, scroll down to "related settings" and click on "additional mouse options."
  • In the mouse properties window, click on the last tab.
  • Click on the enable button.
  • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope this information helps. Please keep me posted on the outcome. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi again:

Since posting this issue, my laptop had other problems and I ended up resetting it. I did find out that the problem only happens if I use an old pointer that I created on years ago on my Win98 PC. When I go back to the default Win10 cursors, the pointer reappears when moving the mouse. 

I now have to start the tedious process of reinstalling all my apps.

Thanks for the replies,

Edwin

HP Recommended

@EdwRom

You're welcome Edwin. 🙂

I'm glad to know that you have figured it out. I thank you for your patience and cooperation in the mean time. Happy computing! 🙂

HP Recommended

How can you fix this problem with a custom cursor?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.