Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hi,
I am facing problem with my hp g61 notebook laptop before some days its start showing this problem as i press the power button all function starts working but L.C.D. screen remains black as it has no power in it.. please help me to find out the solution.
Is my L.C.D. gone bad? Or theres problem anywhere else.
Reply soon.
19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hey fadie,

It sounds like this is a hardware issue. The Caps Lock light blinking is a code. Depending on how many blinks you see, it signifies different hardware issues. Here is a link to a document that will give you a lot of information about the different meanings behind the blink codes. 

The One-Blink is confusing sometimes. It goes like this, blink, pause, blink, pause repeatedly. Two blink would be, blink-blink, pause, blink-blink, pause repeatedly and so on.

Also, you could try hooking up an external monitor/tv to see if you get any image on the second screen. If the second screen stays blank too, then the issue will be more than just a bad LCD panel.

If you have any questions about that, please let me know. I will keep an eye out for your reply.

HP Recommended
I have thesame problem with my laptop pavillion dv5, what is the problem bro
HP Recommended

Hello elvisao,

The blink code is telling you what is wrong with the laptop.

Take a look at this link and compare your blink code to the list, and post your results.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have this problem.  I took the computer apart, cleaned everything, replaced the CPU and used new thermal compound.  At first when I started it back up, I had the same blinking and black screen.  I shut it off and restarted, it flashed something about BIOS and then started up.  I performed a backup.  When I came back the screen was black again and the same lights were flashing.  Can someone please steer me in the right direction????

HP Recommended

@TSWisla,

I understand you are having an issue with a blank screen and blinking lights.

What is the exact pattern of the lights?  A document linked to earlier in the thread details what the blink patterns mean.  

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the reply.  The product is wa961ua#aba

It is a single flash denoting the CPU, which I already replaced.  I updated the BIOS and the problem persists, please help!

HP Recommended

If it is the blink pattern for a failed CPU and replacing the CPU ensuring it got a good seating didn't fix it, then that would only leave the CPU socket on the motherboard as the failed component.  The POST test only tests if it can properly read the processor and get a response.  If it doesn't, then it triggers the one blink pattern for the processor.  However, a bad socket on the motherboard can trigger this as well and there's no easy way to tell which component it is without specialized hardware testing equipment.  

I am afraid the only component left is the motherboard.  😞

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the response.  This is incredibly frustrating.  The problem is random and intermittant.  I have been able to get the computer going, and it works until I shut it down or it goes to sleep.  It is very difficult to get it going after that.  The motherboard can cause it to run at times and not at others?  

HP Recommended

Core components can fail in strange ways.  It is entirely possible that the motherboard hasn't failed entirely and is on its way out.  This would cause it to be intermittent.  The same goes for the processor.  Either can fail completely or fail intermittently before failing completely.  

I can only conclude it is the motherboard as the processor POST test doesn't fail for no reason at all.  It either fails due to the processor or the CPU socket on the motherboard.  You have already replaced the CPU and only leaves the motherboard's CPU socket.  

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.