Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a new HP Laptop and I am trying to run a new video game app that says I have a error AP301... apparently the driver installed on my system is the latest and only available from HP as a custom product - I would like to update to the latest Intel driver but the Intel guys send me back to HP as the driver installed on my systme is HP proprietary....  I feel stuck... any suggestions?  Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is what you need to run FORZA Motorsport 6: Apex. You need 2 gigs dedicated and your video card has 128 megs dedicated. 

The GT740 is minimum and the Intel HD 520 is way less powerful:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3285&gid2=1247&compare=intel-hd-graphics-520-mobile-vs-....

In other words, that is a demanding game which is just not going to play on your computer. The game is asking for a new driver because it detects that certain functions it needs to run are not supported and on some video cards a driver update will fix that but your problem runs way deeper than just drivers. 

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex System Requirements

Minimum

Recommended (1080p at 60 FPS)

Ideal (4K at 60 FPS)

OS

Windows 10 64-bit version 1511

Processor

Intel Core i3-4170 @ 3.7 Ghz

Intel Core i7-3820 @3.6 Ghz

Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4 Ghz

GPU

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740

AMD Radeon R7 250X

NVIDIA GeForce 970

AMD Radeon R9 290X

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980ti

AMD Radeon Fury X

HD Space

30 GB

30 GB

SSD + 30 GB

RAM

8 GB

12 GB

16 GB

VRAM

2GB

4 GB

6+ GB

DirectX

DirectX 12

DirectX 12

DirectX 12

Suggested Input

Xbox One Controller

Xbox One Controller

Xbox One Controller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

What is your exact model laptop and what is the game? You do need to run the HP driver and it may be that the video chip is just not capable of running the game. 

HP Recommended

Hi - I have an HP EVY x360 m6 Convertible PN M1V66UA#ABA running Windows 10 64 bit on Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz - 8GB Ram - Intel HD Graphics 520 - 4184 MB Graphics Mem - Dedicated 128 MB Shared Sys Mem 4046 MB

Game is FORZA Motorsport 6: Apex - geting message - Please update your graphics driver (Code: AP301)

When I apply code for solution I get...

Error AP301 occurs when you try to launch Forza Motorsport 6: Apex

You get the following error code when you try to launch Forza Motorsport 6: Apex:

AP301

This means that an incompatible graphics driver is detected and there may be known issues with your current GPU manufacturer’s driver version.

Please check to make sure that your driver version is: NVIDIA 365.10, AMD 16.5.1, Intel Beta 15.40.23.4444 or newer.

I did download the latest Intel Beta and it was a newer version - they stated that I could try it but as it replaces the HP version there may be inconsistancies based on special HP specific parameters - advised to contact Mfr for solution.

THANKS for your HELP!  Scott
HP Recommended

Here is what you need to run FORZA Motorsport 6: Apex. You need 2 gigs dedicated and your video card has 128 megs dedicated. 

The GT740 is minimum and the Intel HD 520 is way less powerful:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3285&gid2=1247&compare=intel-hd-graphics-520-mobile-vs-....

In other words, that is a demanding game which is just not going to play on your computer. The game is asking for a new driver because it detects that certain functions it needs to run are not supported and on some video cards a driver update will fix that but your problem runs way deeper than just drivers. 

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex System Requirements

Minimum

Recommended (1080p at 60 FPS)

Ideal (4K at 60 FPS)

OS

Processor

Intel Core i3-4170 @ 3.7 Ghz

Intel Core i7-3820 @3.6 Ghz

Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4 Ghz

GPU

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740

AMD Radeon R7 250X

NVIDIA GeForce 970

AMD Radeon R9 290X

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980ti

AMD Radeon Fury X

HD Space

30 GB

30 GB

SSD + 30 GB

RAM

8 GB

12 GB

16 GB

VRAM

2GB

4 GB

6+ GB

DirectX

DirectX 12

DirectX 12

DirectX 12

Suggested Input

Xbox One Controller

Xbox One Controller

Xbox One Controller

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer:  I get it...  so I'm now I am considering a replacement with the following config.. hoping it should make things work...  Scott

• Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M (4GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 16GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8GB)
  • 17.3" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
  • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA

HP Recommended

That will run the game although still not quite up to "recommended". So it will run at less than full HD. That is a very, very demanding game and to play it right would require a $2500 custom gaming laptop or a gaming desktop. The 4K recommended is essentially "go out and buy all the very most expensive top of the line parts and build a computer out of them"...probably $5000. It would also run a virtual reality headset...Oculus Rift. 

HP Recommended

Thanks again Huffer...  When you say 4K is that referring to the graphics display itself or a particular Video Graphics Board.... I was looking an the specific recommendations that you displayed from the FORZA guys and did'nt see 4K specifically so I assumed you are referring to the video capability.... I do see that they recommend 6+GB dedicated video for best performance and I only spec'd 4GB.....

HP Recommended

And it is a 980 and you are buying a 960...as I said the game will run on that computer but not at the 4K resolution, not even at full HD...it will run at some lesser resolution and you might have to turn off some optical effects but it will run. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.