Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy dv6-7210us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.  Last week and prior mths HDMI connection worked, TV had sound.  This weekend, 8-20-16, TV sound went away but still had video.  Looked at forums, utube and did the control panel sound device manager.  the Digital Display Audio-AMD High Definition Audio Device; not plugged in is grayed out.  clicked on it to no avail.  the set default is also grayed out so i cant even set a default.  PC speakers do work.  bought a new HDMI cable but no change.  all the drivers are up to date.  not really sure what happened.  worked for months and now no sound.  any idea????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @glgar1,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More 

I grasp that previously you had no issues with the sound on the TV when connected via HDMI. Last weekend the sound disappeared. You have looked at the HP  Forums, YouTube and checked in Device Manager. The Digital Display Audio-AMD High Definition Audio Device; not plugged in, is grayed out. and you clicked on it to no avail. The set default is also grayed out, but the PC speakers do work. You have updated all the drivers. You bought a new HDMI cable, but changing the cable did not help.

Was the Windows anniversary update installed? Windows 10 Version 1607. Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter? Have you checked for viruses and malware? Have you run the HP Support Assistant? Here is a link to a post from answers.microsoft.com that may help. Windows 10 HDMI audio not working? If the issue remains you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver from Device Manager. 

• Open Device Manager
  • Click on Audio inputs and outputs
  • Right click on the speakers and uninstall 
  • Restart your notebook 

If the issue remains try using a different driver.

• Open Device Manager
  • Click on Audio inputs and outputs to expand the list
  • Right click on the speakers and click on update driver software
  • Click Browse my computer for driver software
  • Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  • Select High Definition Audio Device
  • Click next and follow the prompts.

If the issue still remains, you could try a restore back to when it was working correctly. HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 Please let me know the results.

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @glgar1,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More 

I grasp that previously you had no issues with the sound on the TV when connected via HDMI. Last weekend the sound disappeared. You have looked at the HP  Forums, YouTube and checked in Device Manager. The Digital Display Audio-AMD High Definition Audio Device; not plugged in, is grayed out. and you clicked on it to no avail. The set default is also grayed out, but the PC speakers do work. You have updated all the drivers. You bought a new HDMI cable, but changing the cable did not help.

Was the Windows anniversary update installed? Windows 10 Version 1607. Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter? Have you checked for viruses and malware? Have you run the HP Support Assistant? Here is a link to a post from answers.microsoft.com that may help. Windows 10 HDMI audio not working? If the issue remains you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver from Device Manager. 

• Open Device Manager
  • Click on Audio inputs and outputs
  • Right click on the speakers and uninstall 
  • Restart your notebook 

If the issue remains try using a different driver.

• Open Device Manager
  • Click on Audio inputs and outputs to expand the list
  • Right click on the speakers and click on update driver software
  • Click Browse my computer for driver software
  • Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  • Select High Definition Audio Device
  • Click next and follow the prompts.

If the issue still remains, you could try a restore back to when it was working correctly. HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 Please let me know the results.

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice.  i updated the AMD driver which i hadnt noticed before.  So i went back to try the HDMI connection and it started to work again.  so last night i was seeing  a movie from yahoo.view and worked pefectly.  i will check out again after work.  if doesnt work then i will try the advice that was given.  thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.