Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a HP Spectre x360 - 13-4159nd and I noticed when switching the laptop into tablet mode, no virtual keyboard shows up. In the settings I've turned on the option to Optimise Windows when the device is being used as a tablet, but this just switches the screen to tablet mode while I'm still using it in laptop mode. The option is also automatically turned off again, when switching between different modes. In the settings -> devices -> typing the option to automatically show the screen keyboard when no physical keyboard is attached to the device is turned on. Is there any way to solve the problem of the missing virtual keyboard?

tl;dr: No virtual keyboard when using tablet mode, optimise function doesn't work and option to show screen keyboard when no physical keyboard is attached is on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try:

1. Right click on the Task bar and select  Show Touch Keyboard Button.

2. Open the Keyboard and close it ( just to check if its working).

2. Next click on Action center (or Win + A) and select Tablet Mode.

3. Once you are in Tablet mode, again Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.  

5. Open the Key board and check if its Working in Tablet mode.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try:

1. Right click on the Task bar and select  Show Touch Keyboard Button.

2. Open the Keyboard and close it ( just to check if its working).

2. Next click on Action center (or Win + A) and select Tablet Mode.

3. Once you are in Tablet mode, again Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.  

5. Open the Key board and check if its Working in Tablet mode.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

When I bought the X360 last week, the large onscreen keyboard automatically came up in tablet mode, not the "on screen box one"  this one automatically went away when you searched.  After a week its now gone and I keep finding these threads that show how to bring the box up.. what about the automatic one?

HP Recommended

The is s great manual turn-on if the system pulls up the keyboard too slow for you.  But if the keyboard has "poofed" on you all this does is confirm that it's gone "transparent".   What's weird is that it pushes all the window up to make room for a keyboard that never appears (something the real keyboard does not seem to do).  The last time this happened I did a bunch of updates and restarted and that fixed it, but it happened again.  I can keep restarting but it's sort of annoying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.