Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 Model 13-s052a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP laptop does not detect projector when projector plugged in.

I have reviewed and followed the set up instructions at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03504591

Connecting to HDMI port on laptop (only video output) to VGA on projector usinf dedictaed cable.

Running Windows 10 Home, 64-bit Version 1607

Display adapter is Intel (R) HD Graohices 5500.  Latest driver installed - version 20.19.15.4549 version date 10/11/2016.

Display settings shows only one screen and is unable to detect the projector (which works perfectly well with my 10 year old Dell laptop running XP).

Display Settings.PNG

I have tried linking cables and starting prjector before booting up PC, and also booting PC then projector all to no avail.

There have been various similar queries on the forum but none seem to have a definitive solution that has been confirmed as working.  

Does anyone have the right solution to this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @embraboy

Thank you for posting back.

Yes, you need an HDMI to VGA adapter to connect the projector and I am positive that it will resolve the issue.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @embraboy

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues connecting the projector to the computer.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.

I would like to know whether you have tried checking the HDMI port connecting a different device to it?

I recommend you to check in device manager if there are any unknown devices and update the drivers.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have tried with an HDMI screen (HDMI to HDMI) and it worked fine with no problems.

I've checked through Device Manager and no unknown items listed.

Still no change with the projector attached - the projecter sits searching for an input and the laptop can't see the projector.

HP Recommended

Hello, @embraboy

Thanks for the update!

I see that you were interacting with @The_Fossette. I would like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Going through the post, it certainly looks like an issue with the display adapter drivers in Windows 10. Try these steps below and check:

• Press Windows key + R and type devmgmt.msc and hit the Enter
  • Now click on Ports (COM & LPT) and expand it
  • Right click on the device driver and click on update driver software and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Also, expand the Display adapters and follow the same steps to update.
  • Restart the PC once done.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks Dvortex,

I think I may have a solution at a somewhat simpler level.

When I said I had an HDMI to VGA cable, I have now discovered that it is just that - a cable with the relevant plugs - and not an adapter or converter. As I understand it the Laptop is sending a digital signal and the projector is looking for an analogue one!

Unless there is any way to convert the signal through the laptop drivers and software then I think that an HDMI-VGA adapter is needed. I have ordered one now and will see if that resolves the issue. 

HP Recommended

Hi @embraboy

Thank you for posting back.

Yes, you need an HDMI to VGA adapter to connect the projector and I am positive that it will resolve the issue.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.