Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

You are absolutely right, any problem with bios password is only possible to solve with HP- support, have tried everything else, except soldering a new chip on my motherboard, any pro at this forum cant give any other help on this topic. Have rewied the replyes.

Anyhow my computor have now a burnt motherboard or CPU due to some strange internal problem, since I newer got access to BIOS its like searching for a needle in a heystack..

Since the repairing of an rather "old" HP computor is expencive, I will have to change it, probably allso the brand, HP is simular to APPLE, microsoft, e.t.c. and it´s zillions of conditions and limitations, even if you paid for your hardware, you will never own it for full, never, you will allways have to reliy on support...

Have built many computors, and have followed the development since the start in early 1980 with computors, if anyone wonders where my references are.

Take care!

My last call on this topic.

HP Recommended

Bios 68CVD-lost ad.password.....no mazzif..no change chip....no ask smc bin from hp...etc.  I just did it worked for me simple.1-downloud sp74101 from Hp ori.. .2-instal it.3-make sp.key with win password...it let you add user to acces bios and it is done.(sp74101 is relate for probook 6460b but it worked for me on 8540w). tel me please if it works for you?

HP Recommended

HaggisCat wrote: One of the reasons why you can't find anything on Google about your problem is that it's automatically assumed that the person who forgot his pass word or doesn't have it, has stolen the laptop.

That has got to be one of the most STUPID answers I have ever read.

Please read the post before you answer, Mr. Expert. The man bought the laptop USED like many of us including myself and would like to OWN THE PRODUCT WE PAID FOR.

If you or HP really wanted to help, it would make it possible to send his procuct number to HP who could then verify whether it was stolen or not and give the appropraite key to unlock the BIOS.

As it stands, this attitude by HP presuming theft is nothing short of FRAUDULENT.

I own 4 HP Elitebooks, two 8730ws, and 2 8740ws, two of which I bought nearly new for big money and find this condescending attitude by so-called HP experts deplorable. Out of theses machines BOTH 8740ws are afflicted by DEFECTS BY DESIGN, one of them won't start on the battery no matter how recent it is, the other having an inaccessible BIOS the former owner can't remember.

Thank You for being so Unhelpful.

HP Recommended

Hi;

Sorry for my English I am also did this steps. Hp sent me SMC.bin file but when computer is starting I am touching windows+up arrow+down arrow buttons and when hp logo`s coming f 10  noting else I can`t go another step.  Anyboady else have idea?

HP Recommended
Can you explain your methode @alos1
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.