Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-4108na x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Few days ago, I bought the Spectre x360 special edition with Intel Core i5-6200U, Intel HD Graphics 520, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, FHD screen.

I found that the lowest brightness setting of the laptop to be too bright, blidingly so. This is especially apparent when I compared my laptop screen to other spectre x360's at John Lewis and Curry, where their lowest brightness level is a lot lower, and the maximum brigtness appear to be the same (I can still change the brightness level of the screen, but not to any level where you would call it dim).

I have already installed all updates including BIOS, deleted and reinstalled intel graphics drivers, and even reseted windows, but nothing has changed.

Does anyone else have this problem and have solution to it? It seems the high brightness level is heavily affecting latop's battery life, as usually, I can only get 5 to 6 hours from it, a lot less than what reviewers and other users reportedly get 😞

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Spextre_x360,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre 13-4108na x360 and issues with the brightness not working correctly. Here is a link to check the Power Plan options in your Notebook. The option must be on Balanced to allow the Brightness levels to change.

Then click on the bottom section Change advanced power settings link.
Display – Enable adaptive brightness, and change the settings there. Restart the Notebook.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!:smileyhappy:.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I fully agree.
More helpfully for you however I may have a more useful suggestion:

1. Right click on desktop.
  2. Graphics Properties (with the little intellogo next to it).
  3. Click Display (top left).
  4. Colour settings (second one down).
  5. Make sure you've selected built in display and you'll see an option to reduce the brightness- mine is on -60 permanently!
  6. Make sure you click on apply.

I'd also suggest https://justgetflux.com/ which reduces bluelight as the evening goes on.

Hope that helps.

Allan

HP Recommended

Wow very helpful!

I was getting really annoyed with the brightness of my Spectre x360 screen since I've been reading a lot of PDF's lately and even the lowest level of brightness was still too bright for reading... my eyes are very grateful to you!

Cheers,

Rodrigo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.