Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-ax003na Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

I have one of the new OMEN gaming laptops.

It seems that the machine is so new, that it is lacking quite a lot of support and drivers, and for the first few days of ownership it wasn't even up on the support site as a current system!

One of the issues I'm having is with the webcam, "HP Wide Vision HD".

It should be a 720p device.

There is no specific driver loaded, other than the generic Microsoft imaging device driver, dated 21 June 2006.

Various programs I have use can only take visuals at 640x480 resolution, which is awful.

On searching this, it seems there are a few new laptops out there with this device, but no drivers posted for those laptops either.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am trying to open a support case but also having issues, as the support site is telling me it's an end of life product (!).

As an aside, there are a few HP support tips that talk about using Cyberlink YouCam for testing...which also didn't come bundled with the laptop!

Thanks

Uri

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey @Uri_Stamonov

I understand that you have the new OMEN 15-ax003na Notebook PC and are having an issue with drivers. The best way to get drivers for the Webcam and the Omen Notebook at this point would be do your Windows Updates and updates using the HP Support Assistant. Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

Here is a document for you called Webcam Troubleshooting. Please follow the troubleshooting steps in this document. 

Have you tried to uninstall the Webcam in the Device Manager?

If not, please follow these steps:

• Uninstall the Webcam driver in Device Manager
  • Restart the Notebook twice

The correct driver that is most compatible with your Notebook should auto populate. If it does not, please follow these steps: 

1. Click Start, enter Device manager, then click Device Manager when it becomes available in the list.

2. Double-click Imaging devices, then right-click HP Webcam.

3. Click Update Driver Software.

4. Select the option to have Windows automatically search for updated driver software.

5. Install any new driver updates that display.

6. Restart the Notebook twice. 

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about. To let other people know that there is information available about webcams, please click the "Accept as Solution" button at the bottom of this post. This will help them find the information quickly and easily if they too have the same issue. 

Clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks! If you require further assistance, please follow up with the detailed results from the provided troubleshooting steps above.

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I am glad that you joined in!
Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive reply.

In response:

1. Webcam troubleshooting document

a. My laptop hasn't shipped with any of the mentioned webcam software, and none of them are available on the download links on the support site for this model.

b. The doc should make it clear that the "You Cam 7 Essential Free Download" option should be used.

c. I have already done a similar exercise to the steps described in the section "determine the resolution of the webcam".

The resolution of any images I take is 640x480, and video is clearly of a very low standard.

The webcam is "HD", which in this case means 720p. Therefore, images should be 1280x720.

2. Driver re-installation

The reason why I thought that the wrong driver might be loaded is that the one automatically installed by Windows is a generic Microsoft imaging device driver, dated 21 June 2006.

I already tried refreshing the driver but retried this using the exact steps, and still no "proper" driver is assigned.

In addition, there is no driver download available on the support page for the laptop, which is unusual as for other machines with other HP webcams there is usually a driver download link.

Also, the copy/paste contains info about network adapters, which other users might find confusing

3. Current Status

After installing the latest free trial of YouCam 7, I am able to take pictures in 1280x720 resolution.

However - the image quality is absolutely appaling, even if the resolution is "correct".

I am still wondering why there is not a "proper" driver for this device, as there is for other laptops.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Uri

HP Recommended

You are absolutely right! I did put the Network Adapter in there by an accident. I have edited it to eliminate confusion. Thank you for letting me know! I appreciate it very much. 

I did find the OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 15-ax003na (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads page. You will notice that all of the drivers have been uploaded and updated yesterday and today. Please try the Intel RealSense Depth Camera Manager (DCM) Driver from the software downloads page: sp75342.exe

Please run the HP Support Assistant and Windows Updates again to make sure that all drivers are updated. After you do the updates, please uninstall the Microsoft basic driver. 

If you are still having issues with the quality and resolution of the webcam image, please take a look and try these suggestions: 

• Make sure your video recording environment has good lighting.

• Change the image quality, brightness, contrast, and other adjustments in the webcam software.

To resolve problems with choppy playback, take the following actions:

• Reduce the size of the video image in the webcam software.

• Use a high-speed Internet connection.

• Do not use other high-speed USB devices while using the webcam.

To troubleshoot other video quality problems, refer to one of the following HP support documents:

Please let me know how this goes! 

Looking forward to your response 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hiya

Thanks again for another speedy and comprehensive response.

I tried the RealSense driver and this model doesn't actually contain a 3d camera (according to the driver installation program).

I am going to hazard a guess that all the hardware in this specific notebook model would be the same, so that means that either the driver doesn't work for some reason, or that the driver is not correct and should be removed from the dornloads page.

I know I am pushing hard on this topic but it seems to me that this model of laptop is so new that the support software wasn't correctly published before it went on sale.

Another example of this is that my machine has bios f.06, which is newer than the one on the downloads page, even though it is dated 23 June. In fact it seems all the software up for download has had the date changed to 23 June even though most items are the same version as previously published.

Does anyone else out there actually own this laptop, or am I literally the first person to have one? 

I still think that the webcam is missing a "proper" driver.

Uri

HP Recommended

Hi there @Uri_Stamonov

Here are the OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 15-ax003na (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications you will see the software section includes: 

Operating system

• Windows 10 Home 64

HP apps 

• HP CoolSense
  • HP Lounge

Software included 

• McAfee LiveSafe™

Pre-installed software 

• CyberLink PowerDirector
  • Netflix
  • Unigine Valley Benchmark

Software - Productivity & finance

• 1 month trial for new Microsoft® Office 365 customers

Have you tried to use the Webcam in any other software? 

It does not say that you are to use the YouCam 7 Essential Free Download. The software provided was the CyberLink PowerDirector. Have you tried to use this program for your Webcam?

There is a document called Testing a Webcam Using YouCam that may help. 

If you are still having issues with drivers/software, I would suggest that you use the following link to create yourself a case number and contact us:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

They will be happy to help you. Our Phone support team has access to tools like remote assistance to be able to help virtually but can be more hands on and figure out what may be causing the issue for you. 

I do hope that you can have this issue resolved!

Have a good day 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have a new HP Envy 360 and am having the same issues.  The camera quality is very poor and there is no software other than a basic camera app and driver.  I've spent hours trying to resolve it on my own and another 2 hours on the phone with HP.  They want me to send it in for repairs or do a complete system recovery. 

HP Recommended

@RC312

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with an HP Omen model too.

Was this ever solved?

HP Recommended
Not really. I was able to adjust the camera settings fairly well using the camera control settings in Skype though. That at least improved things considerably.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.