Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-r150sa

Problem with blurry text/websites/certain programms using windows 10.

Hi

I have noticed since updating to windows 10 that my laptop has just lost all of its sharpness, really hard to read for longer periods of time now.

Its noticable on the desktop, websites, steam, and on football manager as this is quite a text driven game.

I have used the HP website to try and update drivers but the latest one available it says I already have a newer driver?

Would anyone be able to help??  Or point me to the very latest drvier compatible to my machine?

I have googled the issue and tried the ticking/untciking DPI in the programms properties but to no avail.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

Its a known issue with Windows Update. You could try the method below to fix the problem

How to Make Text Easier to Read using ClearType in Windows 10

1. To get to the ClearType take an entry to the Control Panel and select the Display option.
  2. On the right pane of the Display window click on Adjust ClearType Text link.
  3. A ClearType Text Tuner window will appear on your screen. Select the checkbox Turn on ClearType and click Next button to go to the next step
  4. After turning on the ClearType Text Tuner, you will see five windows exhibiting the samples of the text that you wish to set.
  5. So click Next on the following five sample windows by selecting your required text type.
  6. On the appearance of last window click Finish after completing the tuning of the text for your monitor.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended
Hi thanks for the suggestion.

I was playing around last night and tried many different options on the clear type section but still having the same issue unfortunately 😞

HP Recommended

Hi,

If thats the case kindly update the BIOS.

Regards..

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended
Excuse my ignorance, please could you gI've me a step by step guide how to do this.

Not something I have done before, wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for your help, appreciated
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply Fusss.

So heres the requirements. First the computer should be connected to AC Adapter

The log in password should be temporarily removed. Heres how

Temporary disabling the log in password

Click windows button then press letter R

Click the icon run desktop app

Type netplwiz

Uncheck the box then type the login password of the computer (just ignore the user name)

Update the BIOS

Step 1: Finding the current BIOS version number

Click windows button then press letter R

Click the icon run desktop app

Type dxdiag then click okay

Press Yes if prompted

Look for the word BIOS and take note of the version example BIOS F.23

Step 2: Finding and downloading BIOS updates

To find and download the BIOS updates for your computer, find the specific product number on your computer and follow these steps:
  1. Navigate to the product page for your computer model.
    For help finding the product number of your notebook, refer to the HP support document How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
  2. Select the operating system (such as Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)) your computer is running, and then click Submit.
     NOTE:
    If the operating system that you need is not listed, updates for your computer are not available from HP at this time.
  3. The webpage lists the available updates for your computer. If a BIOS category is listed, select BIOS.
    • If a BIOS category is not listed on the webpage, the original BIOS version already on the computer might be the latest available.
    • If the update is newer than your current BIOS version, choose the correct download for your processor and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • If the version of the listed BIOS is the same or older than the current BIOS on the computer, you may exit this procedure. The computer does not require a BIOS update at this time.
  4. Click More details to view the overview, installation instructions, and system requirements for the BIOS update.
    It is important to read the Overview and System requirements sections to verify that the BIOS update applies to your computer. Installing a BIOS that is not designed for the processor or operating system in your computer could cause the computer to stop working.
  5. Click Download, and when prompted, click Save as to save the file to a convenient location, such as your desktop.
     CAUTION:
    Do not select the option to Run a BIOS update over the network.
    The BIOS image is now saved to the computer. Continue to the next section to install the BIOS update.
Step 4: Installing the BIOS update
Once you have downloaded and saved the latest version of the BIOS to your computer, you will need to install the new BIOS image. Installing the BIOS update will take a few minutes
 CAUTION:
During the BIOS update process, the computer will beep, the display will turn blank, the cooling fans will turn on and off and the power button will flash. These are expected behaviors. To prevent damage, do NOT attempt to shut down or retart your computer until the BIOS update process has completed.
To install the BIOS update, follow the steps below.
  1. Connect the AC power supply to the notebook. Do not disconnect the power supply during the BIOS update process.
  2. Close any open programs and temporarily disable your antivirus software. Remember to re-enable the antivirus software after the installation is complete.
  3. Locate the BIOS file (example filename: sp12345.exe) that you downloaded and saved to a convenient location on your computer.
  4. Double-click the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
  5. Wait for the installation to complete, and then restart the computer when prompted.
    The latest version of the BIOS is now installed on the computer.

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended
Is it really necessary to upgrade the bios? Seems a bit overkill just for a display issue??

What will it actually achieve?
HP Recommended

right another plot twist.

Last night windows automatically did a massive update, took like over an hour.

Now when I try to access games I get the error "application cannot access graphics hardware" and it automatically kicks me out and my laptop freezes.

Losing my rag with this now, what the hell is going on?  Checked and of course, it says my graphics drivers are up to date.  Really dont know what to do or where to go........ so frsutrating

HP Recommended

@fusss wrote:

right another plot twist.

Last night windows automatically did a massive update, took like over an hour.

Now when I try to access games I get the error "application cannot access graphics hardware" and it automatically kicks me out and my laptop freezes.

Losing my rag with this now, what the hell is going on?  Checked and of course, it says my graphics drivers are up to date.  Really dont know what to do or where to go........ so frsutrating

Hi,

I understand your frustration. BIOS achieves a lot of things. Since BIOS is the key to fix the components of the computer including graphics. Most of time it fixes MOST persistent problems with laptops. No boot issues, black screen, stuck at hp logo, slow computers, internet connection problems, over heating, fan issues and so on.

For your graphics card. These are the things you need to do. Check if you are using intel processor. How? click windows button then press r. Click run desktop app then type dxdiag. Now if you are using Intel Processor it is very important to install first the Intel chipset (So you wont get any post issues after updating the BIOS).

Go to hp.com/support then click Software and drivers enter you laptops product number then hit enter.

Look Driver chipset then look for Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI)  and install it. Then go back to the list and look for Driver-Graphics then download the latest driver. After updating the driver go back to the list then dowload the latest BIOS.

Note: Kindly remove your log in password if you have one. Click windows button then press r. Click run desktop app then type netplwiz, uncheck the box then type your password in. Dont mess with the user  name leave it as is then click apply then ok then proceed with the BIOS update.

You wont come up with a resolution unless you follow the instructions besides thats why youre here in the first place. Peace out!

HP Recommended
Right I uninstalled my graphics drivers. Went on Intel driver update facility and it won't locate any drivers for my graphics.

Went on hp driver site, used their facility and the drivers it shows I downloaded and it says not compatible with my system?!?!

My graphics do not show in device manager either so I can't use the windows update driver bit either.

I am completely at a loss what to do....
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.