Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
IGFXTRAY.exe
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Last try..

Download the Intel driver zip file from here..

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-64-bit

Then rename the file name c:\windows\system32\IGFXtray.exe to  c:\windows\system32\IGFXtray1.exe

Next go to the downloaded zip file and open the graphics folder. Copy the IGFXtray.exe file and paste it in c:\windows\system32\

Restart and check again..

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can open task manager by right clicking at the task bar or just press Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

In Task Manager click on the Startup tab and uncheck the box next to IGFXTRAY.exe.

Apply changes and click ok.

Once done then open HP Support Assistant ==> Click Next and then check for any pending updates. Complete all the updates including all windows updates.

Restart the computer and check.

HP Recommended
Igfxtray.exe does not appear in startup tab in task manager.
Unable to check box to restart gift Ray as it is not there in location
HP Recommended

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers.

HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers

If that doesnt work then please provide the product number or the model name of your computer so that i can get the correct drivers link for you.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your efforts to help me.
The recovery program steps were completed as suggested.
However, after re boot the problem was unchanged.

My laptop is an Hp Pavilion purchased from best buy this past 2014 Christmas season from best buy online
My processor is an Intel core i7-4510U cup @ 2.60 ghz with 6.00 gigs GB installed ram
System is 64-bit
No pen or touch screen output
Windows 8.1

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

Charles
HP Recommended

I'll need the product number of your notebook.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Also In Task Manager startup tab disable the Intel options that you see.Apply and restart.

The file is just for a tray icon for intel that starts when you turn on the computer. Due to some reason the icon file is corrupted and that is the reason the error is coming up. 

HP Recommended
Product number
J9H84UA#ABA

Bios:F.36-02/02/2015

There are no Intel items listed in startup tab of task manager.
I only have eight.
AVG user interface..
CCleaner
Hp accelerometer system T
HP message service
HpwuSchd Application
Max a cookie manager
Realtek hd audio manager
Synoptics touchpad 64-bit.....

Thanks for your help.

Charles
HP Recommended

Install the chipset drivers and check..

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver : sp66094.exe

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver : sp66098.exe

HP Recommended

Downloaded and ran files.  

Restart.

Pop-up warning still appears.

Open task manager startup tab and still not found.

Tried another approach.

Downloaded and ran 

"Autoruns" from WWW.Sysinternals.com

Opened as Admin.

Under "Logon" tab-No INtel products appear.

However under "Everything" and "Drivers" Many Intel products appear and 

I find 
igfx Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys 4/23/2014 4:26 PM

in both locations.

Upon further reflection-thanks to your working thru this with me.

Here's what I believe happened.

I used CCleaner to "delete" rather than "disable" the IGFxTray registry "startup" file (among others-ie, Adobe Speedlauncher type apps)-after googling it and finding it "useless" since I don't mess with Intel settings on this laptap-

Purely used for Windows Office" "spreadsheet" number cruching. No games-no vids; just HUGE honking spreadhseets.

So i get rid of non-essentials.

Link:https://www.winhelp.us/remove-unneeded-startup-programs-with-ccleaner.html

So getting that IGFxTay back into registry after using CCleaner looks difficult.

I suppose I could "disable" the "Persistence" kernel and simply kill the "dummy" light.

Other than doing a complete wipe and re-start I don't see how this can be solved.

I'll live with it if this seems to silly to cure.

Yes- I know "Big Softy" doesn't like common users messing with Registry cleaners.  My bad for "deleting" rather than "disabling" those startup files.  

I'll call support under warranty if you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

Charles

HP Recommended

Last try..

Download the Intel driver zip file from here..

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-64-bit

Then rename the file name c:\windows\system32\IGFXtray.exe to  c:\windows\system32\IGFXtray1.exe

Next go to the downloaded zip file and open the graphics folder. Copy the IGFXtray.exe file and paste it in c:\windows\system32\

Restart and check again..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.