Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 5800DC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I have a teacher that would like to show a video, and work on grades at the same time using a single monitor. I thought I could just go in, and extend the screen, and all would be good. I don't see an option for extending the screen. The machine we are using is an HP5800 desktop, running Windows 7, and I have an Nvidia 8 bit add on graphics card. I tried to plug the monitor into the add on video card, and plug the projector into the onboard video card, however that didn't work. So I took the graphics card back out, and plugged the monitor in with a splitter, and then hooked the projector up. That didn't work out either. Any suggestions to make this work would be awesome!! The machine is only a 1gb ram, and 40gb hard drive. I think we are asking it to do the impossible!!
Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

fivelitregirl

Sorry, but you misunderstand how the video in your PC is designed to work.

Your PC has something known as Switchable Graphics, and that requires two video chipsets.

When doing routine desktop stuff, the PC uses one of the graphics chips, but when more demanding work is done, like watching videos or playing video-intensive games, the PC automatically switches over to the other video chip.

So, it only uses ONE video chip at a time, and switches between them.

So basically, there is no way to utilize both video chips at the same time.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

fivelitregirl

Sorry, but you misunderstand how the video in your PC is designed to work.

Your PC has something known as Switchable Graphics, and that requires two video chipsets.

When doing routine desktop stuff, the PC uses one of the graphics chips, but when more demanding work is done, like watching videos or playing video-intensive games, the PC automatically switches over to the other video chip.

So, it only uses ONE video chip at a time, and switches between them.

So basically, there is no way to utilize both video chips at the same time.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.