Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x2 10

This notebook is only a few months old. It was working fine one day and the next, it appeared that the screen wasnt working.

I have searched for a solution without resolve.

I did notice that the screen technically works... after hitting something (have no idea what I did) I noticed that when I touched the screen, it was talking to me. That leads me to believe that the backlight isnt working.

I also know that recently I did try to install updates and only 2 of 4 got done, the computer froze while doing the third.

Please HELP! 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

First I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Forums @MichiganGal!

Here at the forums, you have many community members that will help you toward a solution. I understand that the issue you are experiencing is with your HP Pavilion x2 Notebook PC. 

Note: please make sure that the AC adapter cable is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

As silly as it sounds, did you happen to try removing dust from the cooling areas in a notebook?

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV?

Do you remember which Windows Updates you had done? 

If the computer is on, but the display remains blank, see Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I am glad that you joined in! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

OK, first off, there are no vents.... look at the type of computer i am talking about... its a detachable screen... a tablet if you will.

Also, I CANNOT connect to an external device.... you claim on your specs to have an HDMI connection on this... well, there is this tiiiiiiinnnnyyyy hole labeled HDMI, but it does not fit an HDMI or micro HDMI plug. (yes, wasted my money on that too.)

And no, I dont remember exactly which updates were done. When we got it, it needed updates right away, so I started them. 

I see that A LOT of people have this issue with this computer...

HP Recommended

after all the troubleshooting.... i noticed that i could barley see anything on the screen, but i could make out the login screen.... the brightness keys do nothing.... it is almost completely black.

HP Recommended

Hey!

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! 

My bad, I understand why the steps I had previously provided seemed nonsensical. Please let me explain; there are approximately 63 different HP Pavilion 10 x2 detachable models and I am unsure which one you own. As some of the detachable products do have an HDMI input and areas on the base that can collect dust in them, I added both the cleaning of dust and external display steps for you. 

The external display step was to test and see if the display was defective because you had said "I did notice that the screen technically works... after hitting something (have no idea what I did) I noticed that when I touched the screen, it was talking to me. That leads me to believe that the backlight isnt working". 

If an image displayed on an external monitor but not on the Pavilion display, then I would have had you download and install the latest BIOS, the latest graphics driver, and the latest CPU chipset using the external monitor.

You said in your recent post that you can see the login screen very faintly. In the Display Is Dim or Difficult to Read document, there are troubleshooting steps to check the display before you get to the Operating System. 

Follow the steps below to see if the display is dim before Windows opens:

• Turn off the computer by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds.

• Press the power button again to start the computer, and immediately press Esc repeatedly until the Startup Menu displays.

• Use the down arrow key to select F10 BIOS Setup, and then press Enter.

• When the BIOS menu opens, check the brightness of the display.

If the display is dim before Windows opens, this could possibly be a hardware failure.

Depending on the results of the above steps, there are three more you can try provided in the document. If the display is dim before Windows starts, and that the Pavilion is only months old,  I would suggest contacting us for further assistance. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Please let me know how the troubleshooting steps go, if you contact us and if you were able to reach a resolution! Please mark the post that provided you with a resolution so that others who experience the same issue can find a solution also. 

I sincerely hope that this information helps @MichiganGal!

Looking forward to your reply! 

Have a good day :). 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

A quick note to anyone else with this problem, a client of mine just brought in a hp pavilion 17-e098nr that booted but could just barrely make out anything on the screen (no backlight); when I took apart the screen (two screws under the screw covers on the screen itself, then the obiouse 6 screws holding the screen in place) I found the cables were loose/unplugged. I reseated the cables, booted and it all was fixed.  Customer did say he dropped it right before this happened. 

HP Recommended

@sbyrne255 wrote:

I found the cables were loose/unplugged. I reseated the cables, booted and it all was fixed.   

What cables are you speaking of? As far as I can tell everything looks in place to me on my end.

AltarZeng
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.