Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After downloading the latest windows 7 and HP updates catalyst control center no longer works.  When starting the program the cursor goes to the busy circle for a little while, but the program does not launch.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the application has no effect.  Please is there a fix for this since without this program the advanced graphics features can't be accessed.  I am using a newly purchased HP Pavilion g6-1103sa laptop with windows7 64bit home edition. Catalyst control center which comes pre-installed seems to have this recurrent problem but having looked online there does not seem to be a proper fix for the problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try downloading and reinstalling the ATI graphics driver on the link below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52671.exe

After the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, however the solution did not work.  I uninstalled the original version of catalyst control center and then restarted the laptop.  I downloaded and installed the version of ccc as shown above, restarted the laptop and gave it time to boot up fully.  after 5 mins I ran the CCC application and the same thing happened as before.  Busy cursor for a while then no control center interface. 

I launched  task manager and attempted to run the ccc program again, ccc.exe and mom.exe came up in the task  manager window, after a short while they disappeared from the task manager process list.  The ccc program just won't launch.  I've read on the web that there are issues regarding registry issues and left over folders and junk from previous versions of ccc which cause any new version not to run correctly. 

And windows/hp updates can cause it stop working as well it would appear.  I've already done a factory reset once to correct the problem, but as soon as the windows/hp updates download after a few days then CCC stops working again.   Any more suggestions...no help on ATI site.

Thanks....anyway

HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Display Adapters - what is the full name of the device listed here?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks...

Using device manager and opening the display adapters properties the following is displayed.

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

Looking at the drive file properties the following is revealed..

Driver Provider ATI Technologies Inc,

Driver Date 28/02/2011

Driver version 8.822.4.0

There is a whole host of drivers in the driver file details.  Too many to list but here are the first few:-

c:\windows\atiogl.xml

c:\windows\system32\amdpcom64.dll

c:\windows\system32\ atiadlxx.dll

c:\windows\system32\atiapfxx.blb

c:\windows\system32\atiapfxx.exe

c:\windows\system32\atibtmon.exe

c:\windows\system32\aticalcl64.dll

c:\windows\system32\aticaldd64.dll

c:\windows\system32\aticalrt64.dll

c:\windows\system32\aticfx64.dll

c:\windows\system32\ATIDEMGX.dll

c:\windows\system32\atidxx64.dll

c:\windows\system32\atieclxx.exe

c:\windows\system32\atiedu64.dll

and lots more....

and some listed as follows:-

c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ati2erec.dll

c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys

c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys

and loads listed as follows:-

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\amdpcom32.dll

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ati2edxx.dll

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiadlxy.dll

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\aticalcl.dll

etc...etc...etc..

I wonder if I need to fully uninstall catalyst control center and catalyst install manager...then restart.  Then go to device manager and uninstall the graphics device manager and return to a standard VGA driver.  The use CCleaner to remove any temp files and registry entries...then maybe delete any remaining ATI directories on C:\ then try re-installing the CCC program.

Hmm this catalyst program is a real problem to sort out...but cheers for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

As it appears a Factory Reset gives you a working version, try using Recovery Manager to just reinstall the version that came with your notebook - see the guide on the link below regarding this.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01868333

Let me know if this installs a working version.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Ok I have finally found out what is causing this problem.  It seems that catalyst control center does not like the Microsoft .NET framework 4.  I uninstalled the net framework 4, rebooted and catalyst control center started working fine.  However I do not know the specific problem with net framework 4. Does the problem lie with catalyst control center or the net framework.  I hope this issue is fixed soon because the net framework seems to be an important part of windows.  I think net framework 3.5 should be ok but for now I will not be using net framework 4.  Any comments or resolutions would be welcome.

Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

Well I thought I had fixed this catalyst control center problem by removing the .net framework 4.  But hey what a suprise it stopped working again after a few more so called essential windows updates.  I have scoured the net for solutions including setting the windows "users" folder to hidden and then unhidden using the attributes.  I have uninstalled the whole of ccc and then used driver sweeper in safe mode, rebooted and then installed the ccc program again.

All to no avail.

However I have found an effective if not very elegant solution.  The trick is to use the original ccc and graphics drivers that came with your laptop.  They are located in the SWSetup/Drivers/DriverDAN directory.  Make sure to uninstall the current version and reboot before installing the old version.

Now ccc still wont work at this point with a single launch.  The trick is to launch it multiple times quickly in succession.

So right click the background so the menu with CCC at the top pops up.  Click on CCC.  The mouse pointer goes to the busy circle.  Now whilst it is busy keep right clicking the background and clicking on CCC.  The menu doesn't pop up at first but keep trying.  You may have to attempt to launch it 4 or 5 times maybe.  However the CCC control panel on my machine did launch after a few attempts.  Don't worry about all those multiple instances of CCC running, they close themselves down after a short while and only 1 version of CCC.exe and MOM.exe is left running in the processes list.

I even got the quick launch icon back which had also disappeared.

You only have to perform this process the 1st time you want to use ccc after booting into windows.  If you close ccc down it will relaunch with 1 click thereafter in the same windows session.

Well using this method its working for the time being.  Of course I'm not optimistic as to what happens the next time windows downloads some more updates.  It's all very silly really.

If anybody comes up with a proper fix for this please post a reply it would be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Ok. I've read these posts. I have almost the same problem (only i have different card) , but ati radeon bla bla bla... Same problem with catalyst... etc. I bought this HP notebook, an i kn't feel that it worth it... I'm really angry..

HP Recommended

Its all very strange..my catalyst control centre has now started working correctly.  It started working again after I downloaded the latest windows updates including some for the microsoft net framework 4.0.  You might try downloading the latest windows updates especially the net framework 4.0 ones.  Hopefully this will fix the problem.  I can only assume the problem relates to compatibilty  issues between net framework 4.0 and catalyst control centre.  Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.