Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 11 (227 Views)

efbasham

Product Name: Spectre X360 15" 2017 15bl0xx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having a problem with a brand new (3/2017) 15" Spectre x360 (16GB / 512G ssd / 4K / 7th gen i7).  I'd like to know if others have the same issue, and if it is a class problem or if I'm just really unlucky to see it on 2 systems. 

The issue is the display will infrequently duplicate the top half of the image to the bottom half, shift the entire pixel array right by ~5 mm, then jump back to normal quickly (1/20 second).  There's no set of conditions which guarantees this, but it seems to happen most frequently when running on battery and nearly full, though it will happen on AC power as well.  It might go a day without an issue, then be unusable for 5 minutes in a row.  I caught this on video when preparing to make a youtube submission on battery life maximizing.  The URL is https://youtu.be/1D0mRoSAyQo - there's no audio on that clip.  I was fortunate this one time to have a camera setup to capture it.  I don't know what to call this - "glitch" - "tear" come to mind.  ideas?  It generates no error message at all.  The problem system had run fine for 2 days prior to that episode caught on video.

Now the really bad news - HP sent me a replacement machine, and in the first 12 hours of use, it had the same issue - but just one glitch/tear/flicker - not a bunch in a row like in the youtube clip.

I bought the 2017 15" model to replace my stolen 2016 13" model which had the display driver quit problem for 3 months until HP / intel released new drivers to fix it.  LOTS of people had that issue!  And, yes, the new machine is 100% up to date with the hp support tool which did a BIOS update.  FYI the machine in the video is the OLD one which is going back Monday.  My concern is that I've seen this on two machines now - anyone else having the problem?   email for this is laptop at uwave dot com.

Honor Student
Message 2 of 11 (184 Views)

Re: efbasham

Unfortunately I have also had this issue as well, I only had it happen two times in the past few weeks when I was using Chrome and Edge respectively. I really hope this is some kind of driver/software fix and not a hardware issue as otherwise my unit is great (no screen bleed, etc.).

HP Support Agent
Message 3 of 11 (169 Views)

Hi @efbasham, @PrznPrince,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you with this, I understand you are having display quality issues on your HP Spectre x360 PC. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should take care of this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have this issue started after upgrading?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Let's start by updating the Graphics card drivers, chipset drivers and Bios update using HP Support website.

For more details, please click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Intern
Message 4 of 11 (153 Views)

Jeet - This is to answer your questions in the form letter reply you sent.  It is not the accepted solution, as I've already done that several times.  There is no thumbs-up because I am very unhappy with the problem on an expensive laptop.  Form letter pre-written responses will not fix the issue, so please take the time to understand what is really wrong and help us in the forum.

The problem did not start after upgrading.  In fact, the brand new system HP repair sent me to replace the defective one has this issue from day 1, although it only happened twice so far.  The first system I have (which is being sent back) has this problem more severely and can oscillate for minutes.  See the youtube video to understand what I'm talking about.

All of the bios and system drivers are up to date using the HP update tool.  The bios has been updated twice on the old system, and once on the new (replacement) system.

Here are the steps I've taken:

#1 - do all updates daily as checked with the HP (?) tool in the task bar

#2 - run hardware diagnostics from the alternate boot menu (outside of windows)  Nothing wrong there

#3 - re-image the SSD (cSmiley Happy from the emergency backup partition on the SSD

Note:  It may take 10 hours of use to see the problem, so hardware diagnostics for 2 hours may not catch it.

Here are the symptoms:

#1 - please look at the youtube video to see what happens when the problem is really bad:

https://youtu.be/1D0mRoSAyQo

The display image is corrupted, then returns to normal.  It may happen again in a fraction of a second - or it may take hours to a day before it happens again.   The video shows it happening very fast - which renders the display unusable.

#2 - this problem does not present itself when the system is  just being used to play video, even 4K video. 

#3 - It is more likely to develop if you have several tabs loaded in browser windows - especially if you are typing, though it will happen without any user input once it starts

#4 - it seems to happen more frequently right after fully charging the battery (system warms up) and while plugged into AC power via USB-C (higher voltage) - I don't see this when the battery is low (20% or less) and the display is dim.  That could be because I don't run the system under those conditions for very long.  It may indicate a hardware problem - or it could be a coincidence.

#5 - in the video you will see the "flicker" or image copy / display jitter / corrupt data happening very often, and you will see that it quickly goes back to normal.  When the problem is really bad, it starts over again in under a second, rendering the display unusable.  That video was the only time there was a problem in ~10 hours of use.  You can see that it would be impossible to use the computer while that is happening. 

#6 - the replacement system HP shipped (which arrived late last week) doesn't seem as bad as the first machine I got, though it has "flickered" or jittered twice while I am watching it trying to copy my information over.  Again, this happens while using web browsers, but not while watching streaming video - that always works fine.  It may take 3-4 hours to see this problem develop.  I happened to have a video camera ready to record a new video when it did - which is why it is on youtube.  Normally, it happens for a while, then stops and I can get on with my work.  That is not acceptable.

The issue I have here is that I can not tell if this is hardware related (like a memory address line exhibiting metastable signal levels) or a driver issue such as nvidia and intel graphics writing to the same chunk of display memory with incorrect addresses or data.  I check the latest drivers daily from the HP update tool (blue question mark) and install them promptly.  None have made the problem any better or any worse.   That suggests nobody is working on this issue.

I posted the youtube video and commented here on the forum to see if anyone else has had the exact same issue, since I have (temporarily) two machines that exhibit this behavior.   Who is going to look at the BAD system when I return it this week after getting my data off the system?

What does it take to get a HP repair person who knows how the machine works to look into the problem?  I'm looking for someone who can interact with the user, not cut and paste a generic response into a message or read a script for this model.

Telephone support people are non-techical - this is what I get calling them with an infrequent problem.

When I deal with the support line (like in 2016 with the graphics driver stopped working errors) - all the support people could do was read a prewritten script "Have you re-loaded all the drivers?"  *YES*  "can you roll back the system to when it worked last?"  *It had this problem from day 1*  "have you seen any errors booting to hardware diagnostics and running them for a day"  *NO*  "can you re-image the hard disk (c) from the recovery partition?"  *YES*  "did that fix it?"  "NO"  "Then we need to exchange the system."  -- followed by --  "Have I provided you with the most excellent of support today on the phone?"  *NO*.

I need to speak with someone who can LOOK at the youtube video, understand the design of the system, and quickly determine if it is a hardware or software issue.  If the problem is bad hardware that isn't being found during manufacturing test before shipment to the customer, then test needs to be fixed and improperly tested systems recalled.  If it is software or driver related, then those HP partners need to be involved in fixing it ASAP.  I have seen it on 2 machines - and now another user (prznprince) has the same problem.   It's only been a couple days since I posted that video, so we'll see how many more people respond.

I'd like to speak with someone who really knows the product, and I would like to talk to them now.  I get the feeling when I call the support number that I am talking to someone reading from cue cards every time I call - not someone who knows the product in detail.  I get the impression when they hang up, their next call may be for Maytag dishwashers and then GE jet engines.  A generic call center doesn't  represent HP well when the customer has an issue they don't understand.  This first-level support person is not able to adequately diagnose the real problem.  We need advanced support from people who understand the machine at a deep level.

With 3 systems (so far) that have this issue it is a looking like a class problem with the new (2017 x360 15" w/ nvidia) that needs repair quickly.  My last system took over 3 months (Dec 2015 - Mar 2016) to resolve the display driver issue stopped working issue on my older 13" Spectre x360.  That was a fiasco because the people I spoke with didn't ever know what was being done.  All I saw for 3 months were multiple driver updates - only the last of those fixed the problem.  While that was happening, they had to send me 3 system replacements - only the last one "worked" because the problem was a driver issue, not hardware.

Who can you get me in touch with that knows the Spectre 2017 x360 15.6" Nvidia / Intel 4K UHD system?

Everett

This clip shows the most severe issue w/ the x360 display. There is no audio since the mic mixer was disconnected. As soon as this started, I hit record on the camera which was still setup. The machine went through both prior videos I posted without a single glitch, then days later started to act
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 11 (143 Views)

Hi @efbasham,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 6 of 11 (116 Views)

[ Edited ]

May I also recieve a message as well? I had already updated my drivers via HP Support app and also using the NVIDIA app and the Device Drivers and the issue occured both times. Although I only had it happen twice, I would appreciate having someone remote in to test it out. I've only seen it happen when the site I was on had some kind of popup or video content so that seems to be the link

Intern
Message 7 of 11 (104 Views)

As of this evening, I have not received a private message from HP in regards to this matter.  I'm migrating my data to the replacement system, which has acted up just twice - not like the original one (on the youtube video) which had problems all the time. 

If anyone else has problems, please let us know - otherwise it may be just 3 bad systems.  It's hard to sort this out sometimes to a class issue or a lot produciton issue.

Intern
Message 8 of 11 (104 Views)

As of this evening, I have not received a private message from HP in regards to this matter.  I'm migrating my data to the replacement system, which has acted up just twice - not like the original one (on the youtube video) which had problems all the time. 

If anyone else has problems, please let us know - otherwise it may be just 3 bad systems.  It's hard to sort this out sometimes to a class issue or a lot produciton issue.

Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (67 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have had the exact same problem and was also able to capture it on video. Went through all the same troubleshooting tests you did, didn't help, so I decided to get an RMA and try a second one.

This morning, I dropped off the original and picked up the replacement. Unfortunately, I am still seeing intermittent flickering on this new one. This is very disappointing, hopefully it is not a systemic hardware issue and can instead be fixed in the drivers.

Can someone from HP get engineering to comment on this? Is it a SW problem or HW problem? You'd think that if it were a SW problem it would not be as device dependent as it appears to be. If it is a HW problem, I would rather not play device lottery. If SW, I may hold out for a fix.

This is a high-end, premium, and expensive device. All we are asking for is some real communication! Instead of "form letters".

Top Student
Message 10 of 11 (60 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation