Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360 13t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

what I have:                 *  HPE desktop connected to......

*   .....HP 2311x monitor

*  (brand spanking new) HP ENVY 13t convertible laptop (V.Day gift for wife)

what I want to do:    *  connect the HP 2311x  to the HP ENVY 13t convertible  (like an old 'docking station')

*   be 'forced'  to buy a new 27" QHD monitor for my HPE desktop   :Wink:

what I was told:       *  "buy one of the adapters (listed near bottom of practically every HP laptop sales/build page)

(by HP sales)                and this will plug the HP 2311x into a new ENVY port to create the 'docking station' effect of

setting laptop aside, then use HP 2311x screen for viewing with a wireless mouse/keyboard"

Then another sales tech said this was NOT going to be the effect just by plugging in an adapter;

(so I did not add any adapter to the configuration list when building/customizing her new ENVY)

since I know EXACTLY what effect I want, just not sure HOW...so I go to Geeks...sorry, EXPERTS!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have 2 x USB-C ports, right? I suggest getting a USB-C port replicator that has multiple USB 3 ports and an HDMI:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Resolution-Aluminum-ChromeBook-Supported/dp/B01EIWJ9QG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UT...

Put the keyboard and mouse sending unit(s) in the USB 3.0 port(s) and the monitor plug into the HDMI port. As I said above, go into power options in the control panel and set it to "do nothing" when you close the lid. Plug the usb-C into the laptop and set the monitor to the external. It will likely just light up and when you close the lid the display will be on the external. If not, post back and we can walk you through that. So when you set up the laptop for home use you only need to connect the USB-C and the laptop power cable, close the lid and you are using it like a desktop. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" and help others find it. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Unfortunately we geeks are geeky and live on information and I am going to need the exact model of the new laptop. I suspect it has at least one USB-C port but I want to be sure. The monitor has an HDMI (female) port so assuming the laptop has a USB-C port you need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Cable-Benfei-Adapter-Gold-Plated/dp/B01NH500RV/ref=sr_1_1?s=elect...

This plugs laptop direct to monitor. You can also get a short USB-C to HDMI female and use a regular male to male HDMI cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Metal-Female-Support-4Kx2K/dp/B01FM52DES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=...

Post back with any more questions. We can also try to find you genuine HP adapters but I use these 3rd party adapters with my Spectre which has USB-C. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

okay HUFFER, remember you asked for it!!

what I currently / literally possess now :

**  HP ENVY x360 13t    model # 13-y0XX 

(W8Q19AV   -   6CD7050DT6)

i7-7500U / 1tb SSD / QHD / HD graphics 620

[usb 3.1 type-A  (x3)  +  usb 3.1 type-C  +  HDMI v2.0a]

___________&___________

**  HP 2311x    XP598AA   WLED monitor

connectors: 1 DVI-D + 1 HDMI + 1 VGA

want to purchase 1 of 3 monitors (on sale-$199) :

**  HP Pavilion 27xw  IPS  LED  Backlit    -or-

**  HP 27er  #T3M88AA#ABA    -or-

**  HP 27sv  LED  Backlit  #M4B77AA#ABA

(which would you choose?   why?)

what is the result I want to accomplish :

**  connect one of the new 27" monitors to my desktop

**  connect my old HP 2311x monitor to new HP ENVY 13t

ideally in a way resembling old 'docking station' concept:

(ie: laptop closed on desk and connected to 2311x monitor

that 'projects' the 13" laptop picture onto the 23" screen)

btw:  was looking at links you sent...when my low-wattage

lightbulb went off....won't I need male/male adapter??

HP Recommended

HELP!!

how do I connect HP 2311x monitor to HP Envy 13t notebook to get the  

'docking station' set-up?  (sit notebook on desk...plug in monitor...picture

transfers from the HP Envy 13t  screen to the HP 2311x monitor's  screen)

HP Recommended

What have you tried so far? You should just be able to connect the USB-C to HDMI female adapter to the laptop, use a male-to-male HDMI cable and run it from the adapter to the dock. On power properties in the control panel set it to do nothing when you close the lid. Do you have a mouse and keyboard? 

HP Recommended

Not currently using a docking station....but I had one with former job;  LOVED the

ability to:  set closed laptop onto dock then picture 'jumped'  onto larger monitor.

When shopping for new notebook, this capability was a definite 'want' on my list.

I asked if whatever model I saw had compatible docking station, since I want to

create this same set-up at home.  Was told by every Sales agent (big box stores/

computer store/HP Sales)  'docking stations' are "too expensive, bulky, antiquated."

The "New Way"  is to simply use a single adapter to connect between a monitor port

and notebook port to acheive  'docking station' concept.  Since I'm a combination of

suspicious and tech-ignorant, I tabled that 'want' & met my other needs w/Envy 13t.

NOW, I desperately want to attach my old HP 2311x  monitor to the new HP ENVY 13t;

just need instructions to acquire 'docking station' concept...what do I attach/connect??

(and yes, have several wireless keyboards & mice already)

HP Recommended

You are just repeating yourself and we are not moving the ball down the field at all. I absolutely 100% got the picture as to what you want to do. What do you have available? You have the laptop you have the screen you have mouse and keyboard, what else? The sales guys for once were right. Consumer laptops no longer have docking stations. You have to use an adapter which is really a port replicator, since it does not power the laptop. If you have already bought one or more adapters we can try to use those but if you have not we can pick out something for you to buy to have as close to a "docking" experience as possible. 

HP Recommended

My apologies:  have a tendency to 'over-explain', especially when I am NOT proficient

in the field under discussion.  Would very much appreciate your assistance/expertise

"helping pick out something to buy to have as close to a 'docking' experience".

HP Recommended

So let's focus. The question on the floor is whether you have any devices other than the laptop itself, AC adapter, monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard? In other words have you already purchased any adapters or are we starting on a clean slate? 

HP Recommended

clean slate, no adapter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.